[Mk2] [Turbo] Has anyone fitted Water Injection?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Warlock

[Mk2] [Turbo] Has anyone fitted Water Injection?

Post by Warlock »

Can you give reasons why you fitted it?

What benefits do you think you have got from it?

Toying with the idea myself, hence questions
ashley

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Has anyone fitted Water Injection?

Post by ashley »

I have not fitted it, but here is what I've picked up about it:

Water injection will cool your inlet temperatures, the resulting combustion temps and to an extent the EGTs.

I've been told it can also add pressure to the combustion reaction as the water converts to steam.

It is sometimes used as a fix for other problems- eg high inlet temperatures, and there is a danger in relying on it cos if it fails whilst the engine is running you risk detonation. I've always been told it is better to fix the problem as opposed to relying on water injection...however it also used as an additional cooling agent in some cars without problems, so that if it does fail damage does not necessary follow (for example mapping without it,but running with it), but you still get the benefits.

Some of the better systems have fail safe options so if the water injection conks out you are warned, or the engine goes into fail safe mode.

Like I say I'm not an expert in it, but I think that's what it's about :eye:
Last edited by ashley on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Most people choose to run water injection to reduce the likelihood of knock.

My own experience of spraying 100% distilled water when mapping my car was disappointing. I found the car more likely to bog down under boost with 100% water and the power output was also slightly lower than if i ran it without.

I got better results on my car from running a 50/50 mix with methanol but I found pure methanol worked the best on my setup. But who knows maybe it'll be different with your car. Update us with some before/after results if you get it done :D
MRGEN3TURBO

Post by MRGEN3TURBO »

I'm in the position of deciding what water injection kit to purchase mainly as I dont have the spare cash to opt for a water to air setup at the moment. i have heard some good things about water injection from people with experience here but I think its important to size the nozel properly to avoid the bogigng down issue - devils own have a utility to calculate the optimum flow rate & nozel size.

I'm tossing up between the kits from www.coolingmist.com and www.devilsown.com both it would seem have their benefits and draw backs.

I will likely mount the tank & pump in the frunk, god knows sdubs dont need more weight in the back. But I think its important to have a failsafe device installed if your tune relies on the water injection.

All this stuff imo is about bang for your bucks, the Celica GT4 chargecooler are as rare as hens teeth here and so their price reflects this so a full W2A kit from somewhere such as www.frozenboost.com cinluding core is fairly expensive. Water Injection seems a good bang for the bucks.
MR2 sticks like glue
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

I agree going to a smaller nozzle and raising the boost level that the water begins to spray will help reduce bogging but I found my car was much less likely to bog when spraying methanol and I could make the spray onset earlier with methanol and run a larger nozzle.

On my car the only real advantage spraying pure water had over pure methanol was that water is not a toxic substance so is safer to handle. I also found that as I increased the methanol percentage over water I could slowly increase the ignition advance the car would safely take as well. However like I said it may be different on your car ad I would be interested to see the before/after dyno results of spraying pure water if anyone has any on an MR2 turbo.

If you go for the Devil's own kit I would recommend the progressive controller kit over the basic kit with the Hobbs type pressure switch. I found those switches work fine for a while but have a tendency to become stuck after a period of time and would need to be freed up with a hand pressure pump. The PSI of boost onset can also tend to vary over time as well even if you haven't adjusted the boost switch setiing.

I tried 2 of them before upgrading to the progressive controller and haven't had any problems since :thumleft:
megatart

Post by megatart »

Ive just bought the AEM Stage 2 kit. Not fitted it yet, but again got it mainly to reduce my cylinder temps, as i'm getting too much knock to run any more timing advance or higher boost. So i'm losing power. The AEM kit also has the built in safety features, and a build in low level sensor in the tank. It comes with a progressive controller, and can be wired to reduce your boost should you have a fault in the system. Funky. Looking forward to having mine fitted. I'll hopefully be running a 50/50mix meths/water. Will see how well it works then.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Have a look here
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=350559

Lots of info to get you thinking

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s

Return to “Modifications”