pics of top mount i/c. anyone from here?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

redmr89

pics of top mount i/c. anyone from here?

Post by redmr89 »

stumbled across these while searching the net. thought id share. appologies if its an old pic.

is it anyone from here?. i think it looks an awesome .

tarmac terrorist

Re: pics of top mount i/c. anyone from here?

Post by tarmac terrorist »

i think its from australia
steve

Post by steve »

it's from the US, more pics here --> http://www.carpron.com/multisite/v/Uplo ... /ProjecIC/
oBladeo

Post by oBladeo »

I think fail fail and fail more

Just think about the heat soak without the car even being started. It's like a greenhouse with only some small holes. I would never mount anything above the engine inc a charge cooler. It's just wrong
Henry Ford "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black"

Modifying a 1 liter is like giving my granny a E. It’s just wrong!!
C50

Post by C50 »

/\/\/\ yup, i agree
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

If they ran the roof ducting to under the IC, then had vents above the IC on the perspex engine lid, then that would work really well!
steve

Post by steve »

RyanRs wrote:If they ran the roof ducting to under the IC, then had vents above the IC on the perspex engine lid, then that would work really well!

thats exactly what they have done, have a look at the pics in the link :thumleft:

tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

think they should of run the duct right across the roof more like an rs 200 but def a different idea not shore if i like or not :-k
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Well in that case, so long as there is a fan / pair of fans under that intercooler for whilst not moving then there is no reason why it wont work. I cant see heat soak being any worse on that than what you get on a GT4 CC.

Aerodynamically, it should function quite well. All i would add is some heat reflective film to the ducting, perticually where the engine is.

However, like Nick said, they should of run the duct right across the roof, and then put the IC in the boot. this would be more functional but not as nice to look at.
monkeyminger

not sure

Post by monkeyminger »

i dont think heat soak would be a ishue!! when you have a intercooler in the front it's mounted infront of as radiator with coolant at 95 degrees and behind that in a lot of cases you have a bloody turbo and a exhaust system at god knows what temp. As long as you keep a airflow and a decent heat barrier it would be fine :thumleft: (and besides that it's made by stage6 the same people who brought you Joe's twin turbo ford gt) :thumleft: \:D/

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”