Spare wheel won't come off

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dan LB

Spare wheel won't come off

Post by Dan LB »

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I put the spare wheel on my mr2 last night and now i can't get the b*stard off

Wheel nuts are off, but rather than it just falling off, the wheel seems to of welded itself on!

I've tried shaking it, hitting it, spraying it with wd40, driving it and swearing at it, but it won't come off!

Any ideas on how to get the bloody thing off apart from taking an angle grinder to it?
GhostWKD

Re: Spare wheel won't come off

Post by GhostWKD »

Dan LB wrote:](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I put the spare wheel on my mr2 last night and now i can't get the b*stard off

Wheel nuts are off, but rather than it just falling off, the wheel seems to of welded itself on!

I've tried shaking it, hitting it, spraying it with wd40, driving it and swearing at it, but it won't come off!

Any ideas on how to get the bloody thing off apart from taking an angle grinder to it?

Driving it? :shock:

Could take a block of wood and a hammer to the back of it, or shock it constantly with pushing the left side then pushing the right then left etc
Dan LB

Post by Dan LB »

Driving it slowly round the back of the house well out of the way of anyone/thing turning the wheel to the left, then right trying to loosen it a bit. The nuts were put on loosely so the wheel didnt come flying off!

i'm literally trying everything to get this thing off as i've been trying for the last two hours to get it off!
punkrockscreech

Post by punkrockscreech »

Best is not to drive it AT ALL! even if the nuts were loose.....you will bend the studs and possibly a whole lot more if it does work loose!. The best plan is to jack the car, axle stands if possible then get long solid piece of wood and a BIG hammer.....it might take some swearing but it will come!

Remember it is IT or YOU!
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Yeah dont let it beat ya! :lol:
Dan LB

Post by Dan LB »

All done, with a little help from this :lol:

I had a look on the internet and it was an American site that said about doing the loose nut thing, suprise suprise - needless to say.......it failed :lol:
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Jack the car up lie on your back under it with your feet towards the wheel and kick it with both feet, its always worked for me admittedly sometimes we have had to turn the wheel and kick it in a couple of places.
edit I suppose I have to say to use axle stands when you do it but I thought it was obvious, :roll: and also use copperslip when fitting wheels to stop this problem from happening in the future.
Last edited by madbasshunter on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

mad1 wrote:Jack the car up lie on your back under it with your feet towards the wheel and kick it with both feet

Sounds safe :mrgreen:
ashley

Post by ashley »

mad1 wrote:Jack the car up lie on your back under it with your feet towards the wheel and kick it with both feet

And end up with a face full of car :shock:
Frustrated Pilot

Post by Frustrated Pilot »

next door had that with his golf. So I assisted with some 2x4 and a sledge hammer!!

Make sure you have axle stands and not the suicide jack when you are thumping it off ;)

carp... should make sure i read the whole thread ... :oops:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”