Lumpy running below 3000 RPM

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2TRD

Lumpy running below 3000 RPM

Post by MR2TRD »

Hi there wonder if anyone could help!

Had a replacement engine fitted 4 weeks ago, let the car warm up every morning and when I drive off it is hesitant and lumpy as soon as I hit 3K on the revs it comes on boost and flys off. But then in every gear below £k is is jumpy, was not sure if the engine had to get used to our fuel silly I know as the engine came straight from Japan!

Any suggestions, I know the plugs were done when the new engine went in been running it on V power as well so not sure!

thanks!
Lewis Jay

Re: Lumpy running below 3000 RPM

Post by Lewis Jay »

Sounds like AFM check wiring and plug etc.

http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/ ... system.htm
MR2TRD

Post by MR2TRD »

Thanks will look into that also been told that it could possibly be that the timing is slightly out so will check that also!
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

check for codes!

But yeah could be timing, could also be the Lambda.
MR2TRD

Post by MR2TRD »

Spoke to the garage that fitted the new engine, and he said it could be timing, and he has just got a new timing gun, so i guess it could be that his old one was rubbish!
MR2TRD

Post by MR2TRD »

Silly question but new to this how do I check for codes!
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Click the link I posted then click "Diagnostic System" 5th bullet point down on the left.

It tells you how to do it in there. :thumleft:

You just need a paperclip bent into a U shape. 8)
MR2TRD

Post by MR2TRD »

Ok cool thanks, have read through it but the Check Engine light does not come on, which as I understand indicates that no fualt has been found! I think that is right!
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

No the check engine light should be on but its supposed to flash constantly 1 sec intervals if its o.k.

If there is a fault it will flash for example 5 times then a 2 second gap were it wont flash then it will flash 2 times, this would indicate 52.

Lewis.
MR2TRD

Post by MR2TRD »

Checked it and it was an error 35 which I think is the turbo pressure sensor! Have and avcr and the stock turbo boost gauge was plugged in also so unplugged it as read somewhere that you can't have two plugged in if you have a manual boost adjuster! Not sure if that's right! Reset the code and once warmed up it ran smoother but still not 100% then I think the timing could be slightly out also will get the mechanic to check it on Monday! Thanks for all your help will let you know how it goes!
MR2TRD

Post by MR2TRD »

Checked it and it was an error 35 which I think is the turbo pressure sensor! Have and avcr and the stock turbo boost gauge was plugged in also so unplugged it as read somewhere that you can't have two plugged in if you have a manual boost adjuster! Not sure if that's right! Reset the code and once warmed up it ran smoother but still not 100% then I think the timing could be slightly out also will get the mechanic to check it on Monday! Thanks for all your help will let you know how it goes!
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

clear the code aswell! pull the efi fuse for a few mins.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

I had this once and went through all the usual AFM and timing stuff. Turned out to be the knock sensor. Just a thought if you don't have any success with the current comments
MR2TRD

Post by MR2TRD »

Reset it by taking out the fuse, and seems to run better, had the timing checked and it is set to 10 degress so that is fine. When I brought the car it had been modified quite alot so the mechanic said that the ECU could have been played around with so may be worth getting it remapped to run smoother. Will check out the knock sensor, where do I find it! and how can I tell if it is dead!
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

MR2TRD wrote:Reset it by taking out the fuse, and seems to run better, had the timing checked and it is set to 10 degress so that is fine. When I brought the car it had been modified quite alot so the mechanic said that the ECU could have been played around with so may be worth getting it remapped to run smoother. Will check out the knock sensor, where do I find it! and how can I tell if it is dead!

it's under the car in cylinder 2. Quite an easy unscrew job if you find a pic of one on here. Not sure about testing it other than forking out 100quid (ish) for another, unless someone wants to lend you one?
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

Knock sensor is error 52?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”