Going to look at a mk3 at the weekend, need some advice

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Porl\'\'

Going to look at a mk3 at the weekend, need some advice

Post by Porl\'\' »

Hi guys,

Not posted in this section before as i've been a mk1 driver for the last 5 years. Im looking into getting a newer car though and i want one thats like my mk1 but without the rust problems. :) So im off to check out a Mk3 on saturday.

I was wondering what things i should look for other than the normal No dents, wings etc

I've been reading about the dreaded Pre-Cat Failures and im getting rather worried now. Is it like a super common failure? :-s Im going to be travelling an hour and a half to see it so i want to make sure i dont pick a dog by accident. #-o

Thanks in advance :)

Porl''
HighwayStar

Re: Going to look at a mk3 at the weekend, need some advice

Post by HighwayStar »

If your worried about the pre-cats don't be. If they're still in you can get a garage to remove them for about an hours labour. I got Rogue to knock 'em out of my g/fs car as soon as it went out of warranty. They have failed occasionally but as far as I know it isn't common at all.

R
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

What age of car are you looking at? IIRC it's more common on the older cars pre 2003.
Porl\'\'

Post by Porl\'\' »

im looking at a 2001 as im on a bit of a budget. Im hopefully going to see a different one now to the one i originally posted about. That was a Vcar one and i thought, best not.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Porl''
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

The biggest worry should be engine destruction from the oval bore syndrome...... :?

If you're looking at a pre-2003, then its essential that you check its not burning oil: a full service history is a fair indication that the engine should be ok...

Whats the mileage? If the engine is worn / burning oil, then the damage is already done, and a new engine / rebore / oversize pistons, etc will be pricey.

As far as i know, thats the main problem with the Mk3.....

Dont be too alarmed, though: its only poorly maintained cars that will suffer from this: if the oil has been changed regularly, then it should be ok...... :thumleft:
Porl\'\'

Post by Porl\'\' »

Hi guys thanks for the replies. :) I went to see the car last night and other than a few little scratches and a little dent it looks good. And when he took me out in it it sounded nice and smooth, no knocks etc and didnt feel like it was holding back at all.

The milage is 60300 so its pretty low for the ages i've seen. :)

Porl''
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

Any good for the pre-cat issue? If you're having the manifold removed then maybe replace the entire part instead of guting and keeping the original etc?

http://tinyurl.com/kkfk3k

The power gains quoted are a bit high??
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Porl'' wrote:Hi guys thanks for the replies. :) I went to see the car last night and other than a few little scratches and a little dent it looks good. And when he took me out in it it sounded nice and smooth, no knocks etc and didnt feel like it was holding back at all.

The milage is 60300 so its pretty low for the ages i've seen. :)

Porl''

Don't buy it unless you actually drive it yourself.

I'm not suggesting pre 2003 cars are all bad, but I drove a low miler 2001 which cosmetically was in fantastic condition. However, the brakes were useless and the engine held back over 4000rpm (blocked pre-cats?).

I then went to drive a 2004 car and it was a night and day difference.

The pre 2003 cars are possibly a bit grippier at the front on turn-in (there's less grip at the rear) and they're just as fun as the later models. But you MUST drive a couple before you part with any cash just so you know how a good one should drive.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Got to agree - I wouldn't buy a car without driving it first. Either get a day's insurance for it ( I think try www.dayinsuance.com) , get it added to your own policy for a day or to and get confirmation in writing to show the seller.

For brakes...

I found new disks, pads and braided hoses after 2 years made a huge difference to the brake pedal feel.

I've found that the front disks on my '03 model are prone to scoring on the inside face - nothing you can do apart from fit new disks and pads. Good news is that pattern disks are cheap and Toyota pads are under £30 a set - almost cheap enough to be a service item consumable at that price if you want the best braking action.

Also, getting the brakes hot and cleaning the disks using some left foot braking whilst keeping on the throttle can help - do this with caution though!

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”