[Mk2] [Turbo] anti torque bar??? werth getting instead of hardcore engine mounts?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

[Mk2] [Turbo] anti torque bar??? werth getting instead of hardcore engine mounts?

Post by jimGTS »

my screamer bracket has snapped again, lol...
so looked like the kit may have to come off once more to get welded...

im not sure i like the sound or reviews ive read of stiff engine mounts, so spotted the twos r us anti torque bar!

i guess basically stops all that engine movement, so will also hopefully future proof my weak manifold....

http://www.twosrus.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=268

anyone using one???
cantfindausername

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] anti torque bar??? werth getting instead of hardcore engine mounts?

Post by cantfindausername »

I got one. But not had the car on the road long enough to know how effective it is. Theory is sound though and looks a lot tricker than solid mounts.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Marf

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] anti torque bar??? werth getting instead of hardcore engine mounts?

Post by Marf »

You're probably better off getting an engine damper which is almost like a small shock absorber.

Looks to me like that Twos R Us kit would just transmit vibration into the chassis like solid engine mounts, whereas an engine damper will reduce engine travel and absorb vibrations

FWIW I had these on my Charade Turbo, solid rubber with metal collars.

They sharpened throttle response no end and the engine simply wouldnt move at all, but the flipside was the whole car vibrated at idle(made worse by the lumpy idle from my 270deg cams) and the car would vibrate bolts free every few weeks :lol:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

If you want an engine dampner, try and get one off a scrapped camry, mines got one and its quite beefy, but remains comfortable :thumleft:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Are they standard equipment on a camry?
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Marf wrote:Are they standard equipment on a camry?

YUP :thumleft: Just been doing the exhaust manifolds on my camry v6, and noticed the engine damper at the front 8)
Marf

Post by Marf »

Cool, first time I've ever heard of a car having one out of the factory :)
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

any off the shelves dampers for the mk2?
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Marf wrote:Cool, first time I've ever heard of a car having one out of the factory :)

if you want any pics, i can take some while the :sunny: is shining
Marf

Post by Marf »

http://www.k2motor.com/edacd94satwa.html

Thats a US based seller, but I'm sure there would be a supplier over here.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Dale_V wrote:
Marf wrote:Cool, first time I've ever heard of a car having one out of the factory :)

if you want any pics, i can take some while the :sunny: is shining

Nah its ok, cheers for the offer though :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Marf wrote:http://www.k2motor.com/edacd94satwa.html

Thats a US based seller, but I'm sure there would be a supplier over here.

bargain price going by the looks of it...

where exactly do they fit??
Marf

Post by Marf »

jimGTS wrote:
where exactly do they fit??

I'm not too sure on an MR2, I've only ever seen them fitted on non transverse engines such as s1x Sr20DET, RB26DETT and 1/2JZ engines where they bolt to the head and the suspension turret.
Marf

Post by Marf »

This is the one RHD Japan sells, $260 :-#

I'm guessing that it wouldnt fit your engine due to your turbo and I/C combination.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

oh,
but surely that doesnt look like the kit in your link before....

and yeh id guess wouldnt fit mine as i dont use the stock ic bracket to hold the stock hardpipe...

looks like it bolts to the fireall, that safe?
Marf

Post by Marf »

No, the bracket on the RHD Japan one is different, I think you're gonna need to contact the manufacturer or find someone who has one fitted to find out where it would bolt to.

Re: bolting to the fire wall, I cant see it being a problem.
steve

Post by steve »

Jim, i've got a brand new one of those engine dampers from RHD japan, was in the boot when i bought the car. not 100% it will clear my pp hotpipe, i'll dig it out and check at some point ;)
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

that would be good steve.

anyone out there that has some sort of similar setup thats using a tub mani....
??? protecting it well??

thanks
Whippett

Post by Whippett »

Jim, what exactly has broken? Does your screamer have a bracing bracket or are you talking about the manifold to wastegate adaptor that supports the entire weight of the screamer?

Reason I ask is that my manifold to wastegate adaptor has snapped twice, the first time I replaced it with a new one (under warranty) and the second time I had it welded up, but the welder put a fin of metal across it (it had a posh name which eludes me now) and he said it would be super strong and take all the weight.

Might be an idea before you put it back on, give me a shout if you want the guys name, he is a genius when it comes to welding and really cheap too, I think he charged me £20.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

my screamer has a bracket that bolts to the block. that has snapped again.
this bracket is ment to be supporting some of the wasteagte/turbo and manifold weight.
along with a large bracket that comes off my downpipe which bolts to the head. again supporting everything.

if i can reduce the engine movement, should be putting less pulling and pushing movement on the components.

i dont have a manifold to wasteagte adpater, as my manifold is a tubular apexi manifold, so bolts straight onto the turbo and wastegate. the turbo is actually VERY light, lighter than a stock turbo, by a fair amount! crazy how light it is.

my wastegate points downwards and sits under the manifold. turbo sits on top. (top mount manifold)

im guessing maybe some engine mount bushs (which have been suggested before i have to say) are my next step.

Return to “Modifications”