[Mk2] [Generic] audi v8 in a 355 replica

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lewis88

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] audi v8 in a 355 replica

Post by lewis88 »

ryan wrote:Lewis, you in Nantyglo? I spotted a red rep there. I'm in ebbw vale! Love the colour!

no im not in nantyglo mate, i live in rassau. by all acounts the one from nantyglo is a dog, i seen it for sale on piston heads with a load of bs about it being an extreme kit on it so i txtd the guy just to tell him exactly what kit it is and he wouldnt have any of it. plus a friend of mine saw the panel gaps and weave in the paintwork-not for me :lol:
thanks geoff, was the one done over the pond a mk1/2? and did it ever get fully finished?
i dont have much experience or i havnt got deep pockets so id better have a chat with rogue or woodsport. this has been my project since 17 so i think i would have the persiverance for a while longer.
yeah the colours my favourite. same colour as the new f430 (grigio silverstone)
im still unsure wether to put the full replica interior kit in the car to make it harder to tell its a 2. thanks for your input guys :D
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

nick200

Post by nick200 »

extreme are doing an audi engine conversion but i think that relies on moving the rear suspension back to gain the room - so now you've done paint its probably not the best option for you ?

Since the V6 transplant is prooved, how about a V6 turbo option ? Then different noise and loads of power.

No doubt V8 will sound good, but not all V8's sound the same and the 355 V8 has a very distinctive sound.

Very few wheels look as good as the orginall 355's, but yours do ! I do like those wheels and that colour - good choice ! Any more pics would be great. :thumleft:
lewis88

Post by lewis88 »

yep no problem il put some more pics up now. yeah i fell for the wheels... theyr ac schnitzer 18x9" with about 3.5" lip! u should see them when theyr pollished :shock: I just checked out extremes oc and it seems it may well fit even though they do it on a stretched spaceframe. they have both five speed and six speed boxes fitted too, which is good for the replica owners if you have the original H gate!
i'l fish about a bit more before making any decissions. :D
thanks lewis, it looks like a very interesting read!! it seems like this may well go ahead so far.
lewis88

Post by lewis88 »

matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Have you had the headlights relocated to be closer to the front?
A big give away on these reps usually is the lights being halfway up the bonnet.
lewis88

Post by lewis88 »

yep, headlights have been moved 6" forward and ALL of the 355 kits foglights are wrong so i corrected mine by moving them 1" further back, also the door scoops had a little panel in that the was meant to be painted black to give the impression that the scoops are wider than they actually are. so i removed them and widened the whole scoops (which are active and cooling the intercooler and induction). mirrors actually fold and lock in place.
the gaps on them pictures arent final as its having another paintjob in 12 months when the fibreglass settles. oh and ive got the wrong size prancing horse on the front which is getting changed and ive gotta buy the rear one still.
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

I looked at putting an Audi V8 in my Mk2, measured the engine up and it will fit in the engine bay with an adaptor plate on the MR2 gearbox, so you leave all the driveshafts etc in plate, so getting it in is relatively easy, just have to fabricate exhausts and a couple of engine mounts.

I have since sold my MR2 and are using the V8 in an Audi Coupe Quattro as I wanted a fast road car rather than a track car, the Audi v8 is extremely compact for what it is, lighter than a turbo lump too.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Im no fan of the Ferrari reps, but lewis88, thats a good effort you have there, especially the front end, and more kudos for not going red! :thumleft:
lewis88

Post by lewis88 »

skinthespin- are you saying that there will be no/minimal cutting of the firewall? and do you think its possible to use the gearbox from the audi as many have a 6 spd box?
thanks dale it means alot to me im itching to get a v8 in there now!!! especially with a six speed box!! i can use a genuine 355 exhaust then! a set of cams, lightened flywheel, few mods and exhaust and the sound should be good.
nick200

Post by nick200 »

thanks for the photo's Lewis, i'm impressed ! Is that a 1 piece roof panel too ?

You taking the car to Newark kit car show this year ?

cheers, Nick.
lewis88

Post by lewis88 »

yes its a fibreglass 1 piece roof panel that uses the same locking device as the standard mr2. so far the list of things i need to do to it is:
* get windows tinted (light smoke)
* fit H gate onto its carbon fibre covered base
* fit rear number plate lights
* fit number plates
* get interior recovered (wine red, with graphite stitching and headrest embroidered with the cavalino rampante
* have heated seat elements fitted
* s2000 push button start
* have alarm fitted
* exhaust tips put on
* fit all my sound system and car pc.
* then im going to get the plastic sides of the mr2 seats covered in carbon(il upload a pic soon)

then its pretty much what ever takes my fancy at the time.
ryan

Post by ryan »

lewis88 wrote:
ryan wrote:Lewis, you in Nantyglo? I spotted a red rep there. I'm in ebbw vale! Love the colour!

no im not in nantyglo mate, i live in rassau. by all acounts the one from nantyglo is a dog, i seen it for sale on piston heads with a load of bs about it being an extreme kit on it so i txtd the guy just to tell him exactly what kit it is and he wouldnt have any of it. plus a friend of mine saw the panel gaps and weave in the paintwork-not for me :lol:
thanks geoff, was the one done over the pond a mk1/2? and did it ever get fully finished?
i dont have much experience or i havnt got deep pockets so id better have a chat with rogue or woodsport. this has been my project since 17 so i think i would have the persiverance for a while longer.
yeah the colours my favourite. same colour as the new f430 (grigio silverstone)
im still unsure wether to put the full replica interior kit in the car to make it harder to tell its a 2. thanks for your input guys :D

Yes, that red one is a bit rough. Im near Geoff Rees gym living, sold my red mr2 turbo 3yrs ago nearly, you may have seen it around, had no spoiler on it. I think thats the best replica ive seen, would be nice to see it driving aroud Ebbw Vale
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

skinthespin wrote:I looked at putting an Audi V8 in my Mk2, measured the engine up and it will fit in the engine bay with an adaptor plate on the MR2 gearbox, so you leave all the driveshafts etc in plate, so getting it in is relatively easy, just have to fabricate exhausts and a couple of engine mounts.

I wish it was as simple as that skin, unfortunately the drivers side driveshaft will not pass the engine to the OS hub.The oil filter assembly is the first thing in the way, but this can be removed and relocated.Next thing in the way is the oil pump assembly and part of the engine block.... now in theory this "could" be removed and the block welded up, but it will mean a dry sump system with external pump.The final nail in the coffin is the custom made timing belt because the oil pump pulley is gone.

Apart from that it will fit transversely but the cons outweigh the pros for me.Mounting it inline gives a perfect supercar engine layout identical to the R8 really but the big bonus being you get a 6 speed box which all bolts together without adapter plates etc

It is still an absolute mountain of work to get a working Mr2 V8, many have tried and failed, including me once already (transverse mounted 1uz-fe).We have now figured out 95% of everything needed to make the inline audi option work including drivehafts and wiring.

Sadly due to the enormity of the work involved it is never going to be a cheap conversion, there is at least £4k in parts alone (i'm up to £3.5k on my own build so far) and about 10 weeks labour as an estimate.... no change out of £10k at a guess for everything but we won't know exact costs until we build one.We have a customers car to do later this year so final costings will be known then.I can't even use my Mk1 v8 as a guideline because it is much harder than a mk2 V8 to do.

All good fun though! :thumleft:
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Mounting it transversly is the was the way to go for me, as a packaging job its a challenge but not impossible and would require some nouse, cuting a huge hole ina car and welding a semi spaceframe in is the easy option to me, when I do a job like this I always aim for it to look like its come from a manufacturer.

Either way its not easy.
lewis88

Post by lewis88 »

ive just started the ball rolling. ive got in contact with my mechanic who may be willing to do the job for cheap aswell. the only thing hes concerned with is the kit may flex and crack during the swap. wish id had thought about this before fitting the kit ](*,) oh well we live and learn :cry:

Return to “Modifications”