Cylinder bores

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ed

Cylinder bores

Post by Ed »

Hi

Can someone have a look at these pictures and tell me if the bores are OK. I can see no scoring and figure that a hone should be fine although my plan had been to bore to 86.5mm

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Just want to be sure that I'm telling people the right thing.

Ed
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.
JJ

Re: Cylinder bores

Post by JJ »

:shock: You doing some work on it ??!! :mrgreen:

They look prime candidates for a honing tool .. Machine mart £25, slow speed drill .. bobs your uncle...fannys you're aunt ! :D

Use some masking tape over the oil ports / oil galley / spray rail unless you plan in getting it washed again.

You going to paint it ?? I find its a benefit to paint the shell side of the block a non black colour, this allows leaks / weaps / cracks to be identified very quickly. Many times I've seen damp marks on the block and difficult to see the origin. Just a thought !

Oh.. just seen your picking list in the for sale section.... Guess its time to move on !!
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Ed

Post by Ed »

Hi mate,

Yup selling up all my parts. Got tired of waiting for TomG on MR2OC.com to finish up and make available the GRT wide body kit.

As soon as the parts are sold I'm looking for a 2000 plate RX7 from Japan.

Once that arrives I just need to find an LS2 and T56 and swap it in. :D :twisted:

How you doing?
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.
JJ

Post by JJ »

Top trumphs Ed, shame you never had that bit of fun I'm having when it all comes together in the ole sheds... I find these MR2's still a hoot to drive.

RX7's with an LS2 is a better option, looks, noise, power, reliability ! :thumleft:

Need any tips and what not, my friend seems to know them inside and out now ! His is in bits at the moment, big loppy cam, ported heads, high lift rockers etc... he's aiming for 600 bhp I think from the ole stone carved engine.

No getting you back to the UK just yet then ??!! :D
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Ed

Post by Ed »

Not with the euro as strong as it is. My hourly rate almost doubled when the pound fell. \:D/

Parents are living in Bingley at the mo so when I am back in the UK I'm closer up near you so may have to pop up some time.

Not looking to do too much with the LS2, switch the heads, intake, valve train and cam and should see over 500hp & equivalent tq.

Had though of turbo charging it with a chargecooler from a uk company but that's silly money and stupidly quick. Any time you plant your foot you'd leave your tyres behind you. :D

Who's your friend, is he on V8 RX-7?

Return to “Mechanical”