Free poly bushes?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dopiaza

Free poly bushes?

Post by dopiaza »

Hi,

Can someone confirm that these are a) for the AW11, b) not crap and c) much cheaper than they should be?

http://www.twosrus.co.uk/shop/index.php ... -kits.html

Also, I think I need a suspension top mount, is this a Mr T only part or motor factors?

Cheers,
Graham
coverco

Re: Free poly bushes?

Post by coverco »

a) They are
b) They are not crap (unless you ask Jinxy)
c) It doesn't get much cheaper than free :thumleft:

They will not do much on their own as they only do the front of the tie bar, you really need to replace the inner swivel bushes as well in my opinion.
System-G

Post by System-G »

As Tommy said. But it's advisable to also get a full geo setup done once replaced.

I replaced all the bushes on my track car two weekends ago - it's completely transformed the ride, especially now we've adjusted the geo to suit too.

I had no problem with the kits supplied by SBITS. The biggest effort was undoing all the 23 year old nuts & bolts. Still it only took a day and a half for the whole shebang :thumleft:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
coverco

Post by coverco »

When I did mine I had a spare set of suspension from a car I broke. I had these shotblasted and powder coated so once the old suspension came off it was just a quick rebolt job, I also got all new bolts. It took me and my son 3 hours to do the job and that included nipping down to S-Bits for another front balljoint as one of them stripped the threads.

I need my suspension geometry and tracking set up but have not found anyone local to do it, has anyone got any contacts in Yorkshire :-k
dopiaza

Post by dopiaza »

Cheers for the replies guys, I probably will replace all bushes at some point but as I'm getting the front suspension off this weekend to trace a knocking noise I thought I may as well replace these while I'm in there.

As for the geo check afterwards, I'm planning to take measurements of the tie bar and do my best to keep it the same, but it'll be due a full geo check once I've finished fiddling about with the suspension anyway but not for a month or so. The tie bar length affects castor IIRC? I'm sure I read somewhere that Lauren recommended setting the camber cam to max on both sides as well. Not at all concerned about tyre wear (got crappy tyres that I want to wear out) so does this sound like a good idea?

Don't know of anywhere I'd trust with a geo set up in Yorkshire, but would be interested to hear if anyone knows of anywhere.

Anyone got a suggestion for the strut top mount? Mr T or elsewhere?

Thanks
Graham
System-G

Post by System-G »

Try get in contact with Tom
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/profile.ph ... file&u=886

He's a wizz at geo as long as you have a flat surface to work on and everything is free'd off. Shouldn't take him long :thumleft:

Tom did mine last weekend for me based on settings I provided and the handling is much improved. Although we are yet to try it on track, I'm sure it will be fine.
coverco

Post by coverco »

System-G wrote:Try get in contact with Tom
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/profile.ph ... file&u=886

He's a wizz at geo as long as you have a flat surface to work on and everything is free'd off. Shouldn't take him long :thumleft:

Tom did mine last weekend for me based on settings I provided and the handling is much improved. Although we are yet to try it on track, I'm sure it will be fine.

Have PMed him Garrick, could you let me know what settings you used, it will only be used on the road and is very low miles. Also do you know if he can do tracking?
System-G

Post by System-G »

Geometry is like a much more advanced version of tracking or alignment.

Not only are all 4 wheels aligned, but you can set toe-in (or toe-out), caber & castor. Most tracking/alignment places will only align your front wheels with the rear - it's a cheap service and often does well enough if both rear wheels are set correctly. For instance if both rear wheel were pointing to the right (you may not see it by eye) and an alignment centre aligns the fronts to the rear the car will be crabbing really badly.

After replacing bushes or suspension swaps the wheels could be pointing any direction really so that is why you need a full geometry set up.

Tom will set his equipment up and get all 4 wheel pointing dead ahead and then adjust toe, castor & camber to whatever settings you prefer (he has a number of settings for the AW11 depending on it's uses).

The settings I've had put on the car are purely for track use. They are not suitable for road use.

Before agreeing to let him do the work though, make sure track rod ends, tie bars and castor adjustment is free. If it's not the process take add a lot of time and could get expensive.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Really should get my geo done while the car is off the road. Has been years since i done my poly bushes and fitted konis.
halflife

Post by halflife »

coverco wrote:When I did mine I had a spare set of suspension from a car I broke. I had these shotblasted and powder coated so once the old suspension came off it was just a quick rebolt job, I also got all new bolts. It took me and my son 3 hours to do the job and that included nipping down to S-Bits for another front balljoint as one of them stripped the threads.

I need my suspension geometry and tracking set up but have not found anyone local to do it, has anyone got any contacts in Yorkshire :-k
not really going to help unless you fancy a ride out but just had the geometry done on my mk1 after lowering and polly bushing. Went to buckley tires as they have the latest laser alignment equipment. Very friendly, they spent two hours on my car due to front track rods being ruster solid. Still, they gave me computer print out showing before and after and charged £80 which i did not think was bad considering
System-G

Post by System-G »

That's a very good price :thumleft:
Did they do camber & castor too?
coverco

Post by coverco »

halflife wrote:
coverco wrote:When I did mine I had a spare set of suspension from a car I broke. I had these shotblasted and powder coated so once the old suspension came off it was just a quick rebolt job, I also got all new bolts. It took me and my son 3 hours to do the job and that included nipping down to S-Bits for another front balljoint as one of them stripped the threads.

not really going to help unless you fancy a ride out but just had the geometry done on my mk1 after lowering and polly bushing. Went to buckley tires as they have the latest laser alignment equipment. Very friendly, they spent two hours on my car due to front track rods being ruster solid. Still, they gave me computer print out showing before and after and charged £80 which i did not think was bad considering

It would help if you put your location in your profile, I have no idea where "buckley tires" is, although as you spelled it tires maybe it is in the USA which is a bit far to go :-k

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”