£1500 - 2000 for arch and screen repair????

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nige_B

£1500 - 2000 for arch and screen repair????

Post by Nige_B »

That's what I've just been quoted even though I am supplying all the arch repair panels! Is this the norm?

I was expecting about half that. I know repairing the screen can be a bit of a ball ache but the arches should be fairly straight forward. Is £2000 really what I should be paying for a decent job? :?
jimi

Re: £1500 - 2000 for arch and screen repair????

Post by jimi »

That's pretty expensive IMHO. I paid around £700 to get the following fitted and painted,
Both sills
The bottom (front and rear) repair sections on both rear arches
Bumper bars front and rear
Front valance
Some welding repairs on the door pillar and rear valance
I supplied all the parts, they supplied labour and paint

At least everything under the front wings is solid

Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

Sounds like a right rip off mate.....have a scout round :thumleft:
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
Nige_B

Post by Nige_B »

By the looks of it yours needed more than mine does. But with the screen removal and repair I would've expected around £700 - 800 at the most.

I think the body shop just couldn't be bothered so gave me a daft quote! :roll:
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

I've just had behind the windscreen done and got my wing mirrors and windscreen side trims sprayed for £500. Expensive IMO but he did a good job.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

speak to mr woods I think he makes a Wide arch kit for a Mk1 and its a similar price.
coverco

Post by coverco »

That is a ridiculous price Nige, especially when you are supplying the panels. The top of the windscreen is a bit of a pain but not that bad. I would get a few more quotes :thumleft:
Nige_B

Post by Nige_B »

Yeah I agree. Problem is, round my area most of the bodyshops only deal in insurance work. So dealing with low profit, time consuming work like this is not in their interests.

I'm not in a mad rush so will do some more enquiring, just really want it back for the summer! lol
Nige_B

Post by Nige_B »

Tiny wrote:speak to mr woods I think he makes a Wide arch kit for a Mk1 and its a similar price.

I've seen them and they look awesome! If it wasn't for the fact I'd need to fork out for bigger, wider rims I'd definately go for them. One to consider for the future, along with GT4 brakes I think :-k
System-G

Post by System-G »

That does seem very excessive pricing indeed :shock:

Also I personally wouldn't bother with a GT4 brake conversion unless you're updating the enite braking system (Front & rear brakes, master cylinder & bias set up) to suit.

You'll get much better results for less effort and money by making sure all your callipers are working as new and with decent pads.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Nige_B

Post by Nige_B »

Yeah my plan is to do a few track days this summer and see how they cope. I've got EBC plain discs with green stuff pads which are ok on the road. I have managed to get slight fade out of them but this was only due to 10 mins of completely clear twisty road. Don't think they'll hold up much on the track, especially with me being a novice.

I'm sure if you find the standard brakes capable then I very much doubt I'll have any probs
System-G

Post by System-G »

The discs are fine :thumleft:

Greenstuff is utter rubbish if pushing the car :-:
I've completely cooked a set over the cat & fiddle with smoke billowing off them at the halfway point and the car was no where na it's limits or mine :?

Redstuff are good on the road and fine for occasional track. As a novice on track they will be much better for you that the Greenstuff.

We use Yellowstuff, but the car is subjected to track around 30 or 40 times a year and we are extremely hard on braking.

The braking system is a whole other topic though. Feel free to start one up or contact me for personal advice etc :thumleft:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”