Windscreen wipers????

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Shluggy

Windscreen wipers????

Post by Shluggy »

I need new wiper blades. Went to Halfords and got a Bosch pair that where supposed to be for MR2 MK1's. But, suprise suprise, they didn't fit!!!
What kind do I need and where's the best place to get them.

Cheers

Shluggy
Shluggy

Re: Windscreen wipers????

Post by Shluggy »

Oh BTW the ones I got where Bosch 18/18S.

:whistle:
HT

Post by HT »

Recommend toyota or for a cheaper version of the OE ones try autojapspares. At toyota you used to be able to just buy the refill. HTH
tunna_uk

Post by tunna_uk »

the bosch ones should have come with an adaptor that slides over the end of the arm and has screw hole to secure the blade to the arm like the toyota ones- got bosch on mine and they are a good wiper. Halfrauds charge a rip off price for them tho, i have it on good info that they are making about 400% profit on those bosch wiper blades - nice for mr halfrauds
jem

Post by jem »

tunna_uk wrote:the bosch ones should have come with an adaptor that slides over the end of the arm and has screw hole to secure the blade to the arm like the toyota ones

I bought the bosch ones a couple of weeks ago, and they did come with the adaptor, like you said. I did have to mess about with the wiper arms though, as the screws had rusted solid and sheared the heads off on both of them. It only needed redrilling, retapping and new screws to sort though. I also fitted an 18 inch on the passanger side and a 22 inch on the drivers side.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

brand new from toyota is less than you think. i will have to check but i seem to remember they are similar in price everywhere else. they also fit !!
HT

Post by HT »

crazylegs wrote:brand new from toyota is less than you think. i will have to check but i seem to remember they are similar in price everywhere else. they also fit !!

Last time I bought a blade they were just under £14 at my local ('ish) toyota dealer - would def recommend going with the toyota ones the other so called OE ones are cheap and nasty and rust in about a week (a la autojapspares) :(
MRTWO

Post by MRTWO »

bumping an old topic because it came up in my search...

I have got the bosch blades from ebay with the adaptor as shown in the pic but for the life of me I can't figure out how these are supposed to fit and I can't find any instructions, not even on the bosch website

please, someone put me out of my misery! :D

Unless I'm very much mistaken...
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

I bought those aswell and broke them trying to fit them in the end I just took out the rubbers and used my old original ones :evil:

Also there is a company selling another type of flat bladed wipers on ebay with retro fit for the mk1, Dont know how good they are for the mk1 but they work very well in my van :thumleft:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

I bought wipers from the dealer a while back and they were the worst wipers I've ever had on any car. They had Optifit on the box but the Toyota logo was also there, damn things did nothing but scrape against the windscreen whilst making that horrible screeching noise.

I bought some Bosch blades a few weeks ago (from Halfrauds) and had to buy the adapter seperately, only problem is the spoiler on the blade doesn't fit with the adapter.
Zirax

Post by Zirax »

MRTWO wrote:bumping an old topic because it came up in my search...

I have got the bosch blades from ebay with the adaptor as shown in the pic but for the life of me I can't figure out how these are supposed to fit and I can't find any instructions, not even on the bosch website

please, someone put me out of my misery! :D

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url12.imageshack.us/url12/811/dsc00228a.jpg

I will have a look in the morning what I did with mine #-o I think you can take the clip off the wiper blade mounting point, then on the spindle that goes across, you clip the other one. Few months ago mind and I remember there being lots of swearing involved :D
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

We got new wipers for Vixs car from Toyota recently, given the amount of stick the dealers get I have to say they were really helpful and found a current equivalent part which still uses the original bolt on fittings and cost something trivial like £4 odd per side rather than the £14 odd the EPC was quoting for original mk1 parts.

I've kept the part number for future reference so will try and remember to post it up later.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I just got some bosch super plus wipers from my local motor factor, took seconds to fit. You dont need the seperate adapter and they some with clips of 2 different width (the one on the wiper), i think the mk1 uses the thinner of the 2.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Toyota wipers I bought were 85220-YZZAL £4.21 plus VAT each and that's for complete blade assemblies which screw on to the arms as Toyota intended (much better then these generic plastic clips which either don't attach properly or break)
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

MRTWO: just seen this, sorry.
Right, I've got those fitted to my Mk1. The current fixing bracket just pushes off the wiper, and the new one in your picture (the small bit to the right) clips on. Have a think of it all though before you put it on as it's gotta go the right way around.

On the end of that new fixing bracket is a hole (IIRC, there is only the one). This is the right size for the screws that are on the wiper arm that's on the car. Push the bracket (with wiper attached!) onto the wiper arm so that the hole on the bracket lines up with one of the holes on the wiper arm. (If I remember correctly, it only lines up with the outermost one) Then screw it in place.

Sorry, it's difficult to explain without photos, but I don't currently have any... :(
I'm going to the car later this week, so can get photos if you need them... ;)

-Max
MRTWO

Post by MRTWO »

thanks, I think I get the gist of it but a final installed pic would be very useful

thanks!
Unless I'm very much mistaken...
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Yeah Max I did the same but as they are meant to be held on with 2 screws and the Bosch kits only have 1 hole I thought this looks a bit cr@p and they were,
They broke off after only about 3 times :evil: I had to get out and fix them twice just to get home in the peeing rain, I was not a happy chappy, I think I will go and get some with phil's part number :thumleft:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

:? Mine has lasted a few showers.
(Though they've also now survived many months of the car not being used, so I wouldn't be surprised if they break the first time I drive it again in the rain! They certainly don't look that strong! But it is an option if someone's already bought them...)
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Just orders the passenger side wiper blade from Mr T since the blade has split it was just under £15. Since the rubber on the Drivers side blade is still working didn’t see the point buying both until the driver’s side goes.

Out of interest can you attach the driver’s side wiper reflector on passenger side if I had a spare?
coverco

Post by coverco »

Grendel wrote:Out of interest can you attach the driver’s side wiper reflector on passenger side if I had a spare?

Yes :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”