[Mk2] [Turbo] Best way to remove brake line from suspension strut??

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jaymdee

[Mk2] [Turbo] Best way to remove brake line from suspension strut??

Post by jaymdee »

As above. I'm trying to replace my suspension and am unsure what to do with the brake hose which goes through the bracket on the strut. the ones I've bought are rebuildable struts and the bracket has obviously been cut, but I'm unsure of the best way to approach this. Do I need to clamp the brake line and undo some nuts?

Have searched but can't find what I'm after. Please advise

cheers
Lewis Jay

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Best way to remove brake line from suspension strut??

Post by Lewis Jay »

Remove the U shaped clip by tapping it off with a screwdriver/punch and hammer then cut the bracket straight down the middle to the brakeline itself, being careful not to damage the brakeline.

On either side of the cut bend one piece up and the other down, brakeline should come out easily. :thumleft:

Its not worth the effort rounding the nuts off on the pipe trying to get them off.

Lewis.
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

As above, exactly like I did on mine :thumleft:

Then you can replace struts by just removing the clip which holds the line in place :mrgreen:
jaymdee

Post by jaymdee »

Thanks guys. I figured this was probably the best way. but didn't want to get part way through and then be told "never, ever, cut that bracket!!"

cheers :thumleft:
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

NEVER EVER CUT THAT BRACKET ](*,)

JK :thumleft: As long as you have that clip on to keep the line in place its fine :)
Poohbear

Post by Poohbear »

IMO only bodgers cut the bracket :roll: everyone else does it the way it was designed by Toyota.

Undo the banjo bolt at the caliper, thread the pipe up through the bracket, fit new strut, re-thread hose through the new strut bracket and refit using new copper washers to the caliper, then bleed the system.

Bob
I'm Going To Die Young...But When I'm Very Very Old!
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

I am certainly am not a bodger and have been a mechanic for 10 years.

What wrong with cutting the bracket?

It is still useable and requires no other work!

What you saying requires you to potentially replace parts and have to bleed brake system.

That to me is stupidity!

Anybody who has worked as a mechanic would cut the bracket it makes absolute sense, the long winded way of doin the job you suggested is not even worth considering.

Do you know that Toyota quote over 10hrs for a cambelt change as they say its a engine out job!

Would you do it like that because Toyota do! ](*,)
Poohbear

Post by Poohbear »

Not that it's relevant but if it's a p1551ng contest, I've been an engineer for 32 years :)

Anyway back on topic...if it was a requirement for there to be a split in the bracket it would have been manufactured that way. Cutting it is a bodge IMO and I'm entitled to that opinion the same as everyone else.

And no I wouldn't take the engine out to change a cambelt just because Toyota recommend it (BGB doesn't suggest removing the engine either).
The difference is that although they are suggesting 10hrs for a cambelt due to engine removal, at no point do they suggest cutting the engine mount brackets to get the engine out....not the same I know but a similar analogy.

As I say In My Opinion....Bob
I'm Going To Die Young...But When I'm Very Very Old!
swin

Post by swin »

replacing front struts tomorrow myself been in the trade for 19 years wont be cutting any brackets here ,bleeding the brakes takes no time at all and no damage to any hoses :thumleft:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Lewis Jay wrote:I am certainly am not a bodger and have been a mechanic for 10 years.

What wrong with cutting the bracket?

It is still useable and requires no other work!

What you saying requires you to potentially replace parts and have to bleed brake system.

That to me is stupidity!

Anybody who has worked as a mechanic would cut the bracket it makes absolute sense, the long winded way of doin the job you suggested is not even worth considering.

Do you know that Toyota quote over 10hrs for a cambelt change as they say its a engine out job!

Would you do it like that because Toyota do! ](*,)

Agreed

cutting the bracket and bending it out of the way to remove the line is far from a bodge, it just makes the job a whole lot easier, once the strutt is re-fitted and the line is back within the brackets hole then just bend the bracket back up, simple! you wont even notice the bracket has been cut, and its just as strong. Its only holding a pipe, its nothing heavy!

Lets remember why we modify these cars, Toyota were NOT always right in their design :wink:
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Poohbear wrote:Not that it's relevant but if it's a p1551ng contest, I've been an engineer for 32 years :)

Anyway back on topic...if it was a requirement for there to be a split in the bracket it would have been manufactured that way.

(BGB doesn't suggest removing the engine either).

32 years as a engineer hey, well congrats and thats why you suggested doin like Toyota said because thats whats done by the book.

Aftermarket suspension has a split in the braket to allow easy fitment of the strut manufactured that way.

Very suprised you say that swin a good mechanic would not mess about bleeding brakes and have the potential of snapping a brake pipe bolt that hasnt been moved for probably 15 years.

If you think it will damage the hose then you dont know MR2`s very well and havent had a look at your car because were you cut isnt hose its solid metal were the two pipes connect together.

Why would you also risk spilling brake fluid on your brakes or suspension or floor of you garage or garden or street when you dont have to???? ](*,)

Each to there own I guess, mess around and do what you want, but I know what makes the most sense to me. :thumleft:
swin

Post by swin »

jay never said i was a good mechanic :mrgreen:
replaced calipers not long back so should be ok
for the time it takes to feed the pipe through and bleed not a problem for me

Return to “Mechanical”