The slow building of a mk1.5

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Re: The slow building of a mk1.5

Post by Jaspa »

1st upgrade has been purchased... A set of 185 Calipers, should help with the stopping, also looking at suspension options at the moment.

sanchi wrote:Those rims look amazing mate!

Damn good! Were they a planned buy or did you just come across them?

Actually they came with the car so I cannot take any credit for the choice.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
redmk1

Post by redmk1 »

Jaspa wrote:1st upgrade has been purchased... A set of 185 Calipers, should help with the stopping, also looking at suspension options at the moment.

sanchi wrote:Those rims look amazing mate!

Damn good! Were they a planned buy or did you just come across them?

Actually they came with the car so I cannot take any credit for the choice.

he now just "comes" across them :lol: :lol: :lol: oh god im funny \:D/
eRATic

Post by eRATic »

you will find the brakes will be a good upgrade but you will lock up the fronts easier with them on. if you can gut the bias valve or remove it and you will balance the brakes again.(i think it is gut it anyway) best to check.

I have the WMS front calipers on my 1.5 with the mk2 turbo rear caliper on the back. Awesome set up.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

Well, I said it was a slow build and so far... Nothing has happened until...

This weekend I finally got the turbo back onto my driveway and getting ready to start stripping it.

And... A month or so ago, BSM on Two Brutal needed to get rid of a couple of dead cars, 1 of which had previously lived as a 1.5.

After phoning several companies to try and get a decent price for a pickup and failing, Ben (Tiny) decided that it would be possible to fit into the back of a LWB luton and as he had to go there and collect an engine we may as well try.

It fitted :shock: :

Unloading was more interesting but eventually we got it sitting on the drive way waiting for me to pull my finger out.

Here is an artists impression of me and my wife once the swap is completed (I'm on the right) (thanks redmk1)

Now I'm just getting the last bits and pieces together for the conversion, hopefully we can have the engine in and running by end of March :pray:
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

:clap:

looking good sofar chap cant wait to see how you get on when are we having the first bearding session then?
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

I'm gonna start stripping the turbo properly next weekend but have guests over lunchtime ](*,) and then the saturday after if you are free?
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Ill bring over some of my high temp paint sealer to get the mk1 engine bay looking show special perfect if you like :thumleft:
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

Progress...

This weekend, my aim was to get the engine out of the mk2 and get it ready for scrapping... Mission accomplished :-D

And to prove that we all stuck to Health and safety guidelines:

So now I just need to remove the doors, bonnet, engine cover and boot lid and then she get shipped to the great scrapheap in the sky (Well, Dorking)

And 1 final snap, the mandatory "In the engine bay" shot

Now to start servicing the engine
Last edited by Jaspa on Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redmk1

Post by redmk1 »

the engine bay is empty.......no stu :-k
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

DOH! edited #-o
redmk1

Post by redmk1 »

cor that was lucky,thought your engine bay was the door to narnia!!
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

After a couple of weeks of too much hard work and not enough spare time, we have finally managed to get the engine mounted into the mk1

Now comes the fun bit... Remembering what went where and trying to find all the random bolts.

Cheers once again Chris (Limeymk1) and Cassi (Sketch) Couldn't have done it without you again. Now when did you say you can make the torque mounts by? :whistle:
sketch

Post by sketch »

Jaspa wrote:

Cheers once again Chris (Limeymk1) and Cassi (Sketch) Couldn't have done it without you again. Now when did you say you can make the torque mounts by? :whistle:

You're more than welcome Stu (from us both) :thumleft:

I think we'll need to come over to make a template for the mounts dude unless you reckon you could do that ? :-k
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

Looks great stu,
gonna be well worth the effort :mrgreen:

P.s I think rich has a few hidden talents you know :wink:
Richie de pier #-o
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

No real update here, Still trying to work out where everything plugs back in and trying to dodge the constant showers.

Although Ben (Tiny) did pop around for a coffee today and during a spell of dryness decided to attack my bonnet.

This really doesn't show you the true change. the car is a lovely matt pink colour at the moment apart from this 18" strip of 3e5 Super red.

8)

Now I just need to get the car on the road and borrow Ben for a weekend to do the rest of the car :whistle:
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Ive ruined a pad doing that but just goes to proove any Red toyota Mk1 or Mk2 can be brought back from pink :thumleft:
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

There is hope for us 3E5 Red'er yet!!
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Tiny wrote:Ive ruined a pad doing that but just goes to proove any Red toyota Mk1 or Mk2 can be brought back from pink :thumleft:

for a while anyways.. they all end up pink eventually..

any more updates??
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

well yes the paint that i have gone down to will eventually go back to pink as it oxidises in the sun but that will stay red for Years

Return to “Project Cars”