[Mk2] [Turbo] The Exhaust Thread

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike

[Mk2] [Turbo] The Exhaust Thread

Post by Mike »

I'm interested in people's experiences with different aftermarket exhausts; ideally but not as a rule, backed up with data (bhp measurements, decibel readings etc).

My car has always had a Blitz Nur Spec fitted which whilst being well made and reportedly good for supporting big bhp builds, is bloomin' loud! Sometimes it sounds epic but early in the morning on my estate full of pensioners it's pretty anti-social. So what exhausts are there that offer reliable gains whilst being easy on the eardrums?
SonicSW20

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] The Exhaust Thread

Post by SonicSW20 »

Mongoose: Not excessively loud, but does have a drone at certain RPM. Not sure if this is a product of the decat or exhaust itself. Sounds decent enough, not keen on the look of it.

Looking to swap it for a Legalis R.
Hez

Post by Hez »

Last two turbos I have gone for the Mongoose exhaust. It looks standard, well made and has a good tone. As mentioned it can be a bit drony but I found that it was about 60-65mph but levelled out again once you got to 70mph so I found motorway cruising pretty inoffensive.

You can also pick them up for nothing, when buying exhausts people will put them up for stupid money saying they are rare etc but they seldom get what they ask for.
I bought the last one for 70 quid.

Also had a Fujitsubo super ti in the past, great exhaust but rare as rocking horse poo.

Had a japspeed on my first mr2, I kept it for about 3 weeks f'ing horrible.
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

I had a Fujitsubo single exit number years and years ago, I desperately wish I hadn't sold it because it had such a nice note...compared to the CrapSpeed I've had for the better part of 6/7 years. In a way that's testament to the durability of it (that I haven't had to replace it yet- though I suspect theres hardly anything left of the silencer packing). I can't complain about the note when it's at full chat, but at low RPM it's quite an invasive drone. Looks the business though.
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

I've had a departure pro twin exhaust on mine for 8years had to patch up a few pin holes on y section other than that it is still soild!

One of the best sounds as well... Not loud when cruiseing either but on full throttle it makes all the right sounds :thumleft: :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I have the Berk. Can't hear it over the screamer pipe so no idea how it sounds on full chat. Quiet around the town though and looks great!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I have a HKS Hi-Power, in combination with a BRD sports cat and the hks bung static db tests have been around 89db.

Without the bung it's a bit higher, but not by much.

Honestly having the sports cat instead of a de-cat made a big difference it's pretty civilised sounding at idle compared to most 2's with a decat.

the hks sounds nice but I don't like the way it looks, if I could get a new departure 2 I'd probably go for it but seeing as it's probably going to cost in the 1000's I think at some point I'm going to just buy a new Legalis R. Not for a while though as I just had a full respray lol.

Torque GT are Fujitsubo distributors for the UK and can do the legalis r, or the RMA01 to the uk for about 700 quid.
Vapid

Post by Vapid »

I've gone from a HKS Hi-Power silent to a Departure Pro 2, I got the Y section remade from Stainless steel so it won't ever rot through again.

The HKS Hi-Power Silent is a really nice exhaust tbh, it isn't antisocial and it also doesn't drone too much on a highway.

The Departure Pro 2 does drone, but it looks and sounds amazing, so it's worth it!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Yeah I just don't like the huge angled tip, thats why I prefer something like the RM01A or the Apexi GT lookswise for a single exit. Although I hate the way the Apexi sounds
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

I had a modified Dep 2 Pro on my turbo and it was the best sounding exhaust I've had on a 2 out of

Blue flame
Mongoose
Berk

I only took it off as I wanted to return the car to stock OEM+ style so kept the berk gen2 down pipe and cleaned and painted up the stock box.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCtTz1vH64O ... 2smth2r141

EDIT: haha I've just realised in that picture you can see the Dep 2 wall art in the background.
Rory

Post by Rory »

Would you consider selling the departure 2 pro?
My MR2 for sale! Check out the for sale section
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

I would consider if someone was desperate to buy one.

But I just cant be bothered with the agro of selling it.

Return to “Modifications”