[Mk2] [Turbo] Oil sandwich plate

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

[Mk2] [Turbo] Oil sandwich plate

Post by Ryan S »

Looking for info on these. Never used one so don't know much about them. Are they all the same size? Needing one for a rev3 turbo.
SonicSW20

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Oil sandwich plate

Post by SonicSW20 »

What do you want to use it for? If its for sensors you don't need a plate for the Gen3 engine. It has some bungs you can remove and replace with an adapter to suit standard sensor threads.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

It is for sensors, Oil temp and pressure. Can you give me more info? I was totally unaware of this and would much rather not use a sandwich plate if I don't have to.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

On the Gen3 3S sumps, there's 3x 3/8 BSP plugs that go right to the oil galleries above the filter, ideal for pressure and temperature.

Vast majority of sensors are 1/8NPT, so you'll need a couple of adapters:

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/ad ... dp-3-8bspa

I think those are the right ones.

One of them is quite close to the crank pulley, but you'll see when you stick your head under.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I can't believe this haha! Yeah my sensors are 1/8. Thanks for this bud, I'll go order the adapters.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

These are a pain to get out, make sure you have a proper Allen ratchet tool, an Allen key won't cut it, I had to put a 2foot breaker bar to them. Ha!

Well worth doing though over a sandwich plate as you don't need to touch the oil filter and loose some oil. Those galleries don't have any oil that high up (until engine is on and pumped round), or very little.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

cheers for that Jim. They do look like they've been in there a loooong time!! I have the adapters but not doing anything to the car till it's painted so be a few weeks yet. I really like this over the sandwich plate. The wires for my senders are basically in the right location already.
ElvisRockVinyl

Post by ElvisRockVinyl »

I put a sandwich plate in on my gen 2 3sge a few years ago, pic below, I looked for sensor holes but I don't think there is any on the gen 2, I have oil pressure gauge and temperature sensors bolted into it, had it for years and never leaked once, just make sure the plate is done up tight and look over it every time you do a filter change.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sega32bit ... 9268201322

Very handy having gauges in you can see how pressure is doing and when your oil is hot enough to race, it's surprising how long oil take to warm up, certainly made me drive carefully until fully warm.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Thanks for that mate :thumleft:
shinny

Post by shinny »

ElvisRockVinyl wrote:I looked for sensor holes but I don't think there is any on the gen 2

Correct... hence why I made that image to say gen3 :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”