10th Anniversary Edition - Turbo Project

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rory

Re: 10th Anniversary Edition - Turbo Project

Post by Rory »

A few people have asked me offline about who is doing my respray. For anyone else interested it's a company called Hybrid Paintworks in Harlow. I've used them a lot over the past 7 years but never for anything this big before.
Rory

Post by Rory »

Just ordered some night breaker plus bulbs for the fogs and headlights. Also a cheap set of screw extractors as I'm sure the screws holding the fogs aren't going to play nicely. I've got night breakers in my land rover and they are awesome!
Rory

Post by Rory »

Not much of an update. Spent a few hours today getting the spot lights off (drilled the out in the end). Removed the side vents and trim too. Also removed the front crash bar so I can wire brush and paint it at home.
Rory

Post by Rory »

Spent a couple hours today wire brushing the front crash bar which is pretty scabby. Got all the loose rust off then gave it a coat of hammerite. Ill give it a another coat before it goes back on. Doesnt have to be pretty as its behind the front bumper but i dont want it to rust any more. Also polished up the plastic lights (and bleached the front clear lights on the inside to get rid of any algae). Also ordered some satin black paint and plastic primer. Going to paint the surround around the front fogs (cleaned them up today) and the window wiper arms etc

And the car as I last saw it. Not much change yet. My car is next in line so hopefully the real prep will start this week :D

tsango

Post by tsango »

Rory wrote:Just ordered some night breaker plus bulbs for the fogs and headlights. Also a cheap set of screw extractors as I'm sure the screws holding the fogs aren't going to play nicely.

I had a nightmare getting my screws out of the fog lights when I was upgrading to LED fog light bulbs.

I used a set of screw extractors but also had to order some extra long drill bits to drill the holes in the screws for the screw extractors.

I replaced the bolts with stainless steel hexagon bolts so should be easy to get out in the future.
Rory

Post by Rory »

Can you remember the size of the bolts you ordered?
tsango

Post by tsango »

p.s. Have you tracked all the costs for this project?

I bought a REV5 NA car June last year and so far spent about £5k on the car doing jobs and buying and replacing stuff on it, and that figure doesn't include the turbo conversion taking place at the moment!!
Rory

Post by Rory »

tsango wrote:p.s. Have you tracked all the costs for this project?

I bought a REV5 NA car June last year and so far spent about £5k on the car doing jobs and buying and replacing stuff on it, and that figure doesn't include the turbo conversion taking place at the moment!!

Yeah I'm tracking every penny. It's not going to be cheap but it's definitely going to be a car to keep :D
craig

Post by craig »

Good stuff mate, coming along nicely :thumleft:
Rory

Post by Rory »

Another small update - Popped down the bodyshop today to remove the window wiper arms and engine lid rain guard -

Looks like the rub down and dent removal has started :)

Spent a couple hours today preparing the engine lid rain guard, headlight plastic surround (covered in overspray from last owners bumper respray), front spot lights and wiper arms.

Now with its first coat of satin black -

Spot lights primed -

Headlight surrounds primed -

Wiper arms with first coat - Although im not 100% happy on the result. I may rub them down again or use Hybrid paintworks blast cabinet

ashley

Post by ashley »

Hate to say it, but I think you may have some overspray on your wall and floor...

:clown:
Rory

Post by Rory »

It's only on my garage floor and inside wall. It's got overspray patches all over it :D
Herts66

Turbo

Post by Herts66 »

:clap:

Looking good Rory - are you gonna put some air horns on that while the front bumpers off?

Looking forward to seeing this on the road!
Rory

Post by Rory »

Not much of an update. Its a bit behind schedule but still moving. Looks like all dents/damage have been pulled out then filled then spot primed (including full repairs of sills). Car is almost fully stripped (windscreen and doors to be removed). I'm heading down to get involved in the removal of the doors and rub down. Hopefully its going to be fully primed very soon and allowed to settle before being top coated the week after. Should have some more photos this weekend to post.
Rory

Re: Turbo

Post by Rory »

Herts66 wrote::clap:

Looking good Rory - are you gonna put some air horns on that while the front bumpers off?

Looking forward to seeing this on the road!

Nah no air horns. Ill try to get along to a local meet when its totally finished to show it off :D
Rory

Post by Rory »

Update from today - The main part of the shell is now primed. Windscreen hasn't come out yet though so the windscreen surround hasn't been touched yet.

Pre-primer - Sills and rear have been fully prepared and sealed so they wont rust

And how it looks now with a coat of primer -

Hopefully the top coat will be in soon and then the doors/trim/bonnet/boot etc will all follow :D
Herts66

Post by Herts66 »

:clap: Looking great Rory :clap:

still try to guess what colour you've gone with.

I know you liked the green :mrgreen:
craig

Post by craig »

Excellent progress mate! :clap:
Rob

Post by Rob »

Painting looks great - if you don't mind me asking, what are you paying for the spraying?
Rory

Post by Rory »

The whole project is costing a lot! Don't really want to say exactly how much on here but it ain't cheap as you can imagine. It's worth it to me though and I'm hoping in years to come I can enjoy this MR2.

Rob- you thinking of doing the same?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”