Arch rolling

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

starmist

Arch rolling

Post by starmist »

Is it advisable to have the rear arches rolled? i have been told it can lead to paint cracking and rust. My wheels are 17x9 et35 and they catch on bumps.
kayjay0_7

Re: Arch rolling

Post by kayjay0_7 »

had my rear arches rolled from Archenemy

http://www.archenemy.co.uk/

when mine were done i suffered one minute hairline crack in the paintwork which i quickly touched up

at the end of the day whether the paint cracks or not from the roll, your tyres are getting worn on the sidewall and every time it rubs it is damaging the paintwork and exposing bare metal underneath which is going to rust anyway if not treated

what size tyres you running on the rear, you could possibly try a different size tyre if you are not happy with rolling the arches
fearless

Post by fearless »

my understanding on this is if you heat up the paint with a hairdrier it doesnt crack, a few guys on here borrowed the machine from a guy on here and done quite a few cars in one day, his name i cant remember but someone will soon post it up and he hire's it out. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

You can hire the roller and heater gun off Gtech who is on this forum. Drop him a PM.
fearless

Post by fearless »

i knew someone would correct me on this. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Yep, used Gtech's archroller on my car, along with a few others on here.

Results were good. Out of the five of us who rolled our arches only I had issues with paint cracking, and that was purely due to one of my arch lips being crusty already. I had planned to repaint the offending arch anyway, the cracking just accelerated my decision :lol:

Done right on intact paintwork you should not see any cracking issues.

With regards to rust, it is very important to thoroughly clean out the undersides of the lips before rolling, then once rolled fill the valley created by the arch folding up with some kind of sealant.

One year on touchwood I have zero rust issues.

PS Starmist, what size tyres are you running on those rims?
starmist

Post by starmist »

Thanks for the replies, i am running 245 tyres.
I am thinking about making the wheels 38 offset instead of 35mm, i know it's only 3mm difference but it must help.

I will contact gtech as well about his arch roller.
Last edited by starmist on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwarren2k2

Post by jwarren2k2 »

I used Archenemy too.

The chap came to my house on a Saturday morning in February when the weather was at about 2 degreesC and did it for £90 (£80 for rolling + £10 for fuel).

I think GTech charges £80 including the courier charges which is good if you get a group of you and share the costs, but I didn't have a group.

The way I saw it was, pay an extra £10 to get a professional to do it. He did a few 'trick' things which I would never have done or thought about.

Definitely worth getting a pro to do it, and I'm not the sort of person who lets people work on my car as I love doing work myself.

Go for Archenemy... they're really good!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Marf wrote:Yep, used Gtech's archroller on my car, along with a few others on here.

Results were good. Out of the five of us who rolled our arches only I had issues with paint cracking, and that was purely due to one of my arch lips being crusty already. I had planned to repaint the offending arch anyway, the cracking just accelerated my decision :lol:

Done right on intact paintwork you should not see any cracking issues.

With regards to rust, it is very important to thoroughly clean out the undersides of the lips before rolling, then once rolled fill the valley created by the arch folding up with some kind of sealant.

One year on touchwood I have zero rust issues.

PS Starmist, what size tyres are you running on those rims?

I was one of the others who rented Graeme's arch roller that day (weren't there 4 of us Sam? :lol:) No paintwork issues here, but remember that you can only roll the very top of the arch - if your wheels are catching on the trim strips there's very little you can do about that as they are plastic! The part of the arch towards the front of the car below the strip is fibreglass too so there's nowt you can do about those parts.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Marf

Post by Marf »

What's an extra person between friends :lol:
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

Marf wrote:What's an extra person between friends :lol:

A good time, depending on the person :wink:
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
Marf

Post by Marf »

:clown:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”