Returning Member - The Black Beauty

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SrSilkie

Returning Member - The Black Beauty

Post by SrSilkie »

Hello all,

It feels good to be back.

I am a returning member of the forum, used to go by Wikiz on here years back but I'm back with a new username...and MR2!

I'm Ross Wilkie and this was my previous MR2 Rev 3 Turbo. I owned her between 2013-2015 which I sold to Jordan on here (JLW). Selling my MR2 was one of my biggest regrets. Many of you know what I am talking about here but unfortunately due to going back to uni to finish my degree (Architecture), I knew I wouldn't have the finances to keep her to the standard she deserved and made the decision to let her go.

I know I made the right decision here. Jordan did her complete justice and turned the car into the cracker she is today!

I won't lie, I did always intend to one day buy her back so I always used to check back on Jordan's instagram in the hope that he had stopped spending so much bloody time and money on her as I knew she was becoming unattainable to get back!

Anyway, during my final years of my degree I become slightly obsessed with the colour black, typical architect over here. I still have this obsession for black and have this weird rule that I will only buy black cars from now on. It also means I essentially get a free gym membership with the amount of cleaning I will endure. Big arms, skinny legs...its going to be a great look.

So what happened next...I moved to London to continue my final year of architectural training and now work as an architect, then covid struck. Being stuck in the house, working from home, I needed a car, an outlet from my day to day and I knew it was the time to get back into an MR2 again. So the hunt began...

Naively I forgot how long it took me to source my first MR2 and thought 'ach i'll have one in no time' How wrong I was! It took me around 9 months of continued searching for the right car. It had to be mint condition, black, rev 3+, turbo and t-bar. So yes for 9 months my girlfriend had to endure me harping on about a future MR2. It was like we were having a baby that only I cared about!

9 months later, at Christmas time I was doing a bit of work around the house and thought I need to put up a post to see if someone has a car in this spec they are willing to sell...as it turns out, Scott was writing up his ad the same night...odd coincidence, and commented on my post. That was it, done, love at first sight...not with Scott, although a good looking chap, I fell in love with his black beauty. At this point I would describe the car but it needs no introduction, you all know it well I'm sure!

As I said, I was sold immediately, got in touch with Scott that night and we started to discuss the sale. He was definitely caught of guard as he didn't expect such an immediate response but did have a future car model lined up, however due to lockdown and waiting for the right car to come available we agreed to wait for the right time to meet.

To be honest, I didn't get my hopes up too much as I thought Scott may decide not to sell which would have been completely understandable! but we stayed in touch constantly leading up to the sale and one day I got the message to say he had found the one, when could we meet. My heart did start to race and my girlfriend was ecstatic, finally I would stop stalking about this bloody MR2...she knows nothing...it will only get worse!

I picked the car up last weekend and Scott had his new car delivered a few days later, it was dream come true for both of us!

So today I went to Clacket Lane Services to pick up my essential bag of pick n mix. I could not believe my eyes, I saw a Silver Cayman GTS in the car park and thought 'could it be' sure enough, there was Scott! Essential shopping in the passengers seat, practicing how to park like a true Porsche owner, over two spaces!

It was great to meet back up with Scott and to get the cars side by side. I really feel like I have made a friend in him like many of you have and only wish to keep the car to the immense standard he has all these years.

I can't wait to get out to the car festivals during summer (fingers crossed with covid) and being part of the MR2 community again! I feel like I have taken on a piece of automotive history with Scotts car and will do my best to keep her good...and together! No parts for sale sorry! For me she is everything I could have hoped for and more. Long live the black beauty!

I will update in my with more photos once I the weather warms up and I can get the car out for a shoot!

Cheers for reading (if you made it this far)
Ross
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Re: Returning Member - The Black Beauty

Post by wilkie senior »

Hi Great to see the car staying in the club
hopefully when restrictions ...if! are lifted

there will be more demand for shows again

welcome back

regards brian
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Good to see you back dude! I'm hoping to do the NC500 over a couple of days this summer. Could potentially turn it into an mr2 based thing? I appreciate you'd have to drive the length of the country to get here mind you!
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

wilkie senior wrote:Hi Great to see the car staying in the club
hopefully when restrictions ...if! are lifted

there will be more demand for shows again

welcome back

regards brian

Hi Brian.

Yes the car will be staying an IMOC resident!

I have started to mark up my calendar with events. Hopefully I wont have to score them out in future!

Cheers,
Ross
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

Ryan S wrote:Good to see you back dude! I'm hoping to do the NC500 over a couple of days this summer. Could potentially turn it into an mr2 based thing? I appreciate you'd have to drive the length of the country to get here mind you!

Hi Ryan,

Funny you say that, I do plan on doing the NC500 this summer also. I wanted to do a small European road trip but I think NC500 is a more likely option with all the lockdown stuff going on!
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

The boy i just bought my new block off (from Scotland but lives in Coventry) also wants to do it as well. Could deffo make a wee event out of it providing covid allows.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

great purchase! such a nice car. :thumleft:
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

Ryan S wrote:The boy i just bought my new block off (from Scotland but lives in Coventry) also wants to do it as well. Could deffo make a wee event out of it providing covid allows.

Yeah I'd be keen, will have to play it by ear with covid though! I reckon this summer will be touch and go with events etc.
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

rossonza wrote:great purchase! such a nice car. :thumleft:

Thank you, Scott did an amazing job with her, blown away with the car :thumleft:
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

SrSilkie wrote:
Ryan S wrote:The boy i just bought my new block off (from Scotland but lives in Coventry) also wants to do it as well. Could deffo make a wee event out of it providing covid allows.

Yeah I'd be keen, will have to play it by ear with covid though! I reckon this summer will be touch and go with events etc.

Yeah deffo man. We'll see what happens :)
MR2TRD8

Black turbo

Post by MR2TRD8 »

Bargain you had there pal well done

I did send a message to Scott for it but I was 4th in queue lol. It's so hard to find a nice turbo these days not many about

Enjoy :thumleft:
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

Thanks Dave,

Yeah I had been looking for ages and whilst I didn't expect such a good example to come up, when it did I just jumped at it. I think that will become the norm for these cars. Sit in wait and when the right car comes up you just have to go for it. At first I thought I was being a bit paranoid to just jump straight in but it seems to have paid off.

Its not just MR2's, all the JDM stuff is going up in price. I think exposure on youtube and the fact these can be imported to the US legally now are a big factor. Unfortunately I don't see that as a good thing for the UK market, prices in Japan have already responded to the demand in the US and prices are rising across the board. JDM cars in the UK are probably already getting shipped to the US because prices have gone up in Japan and the pound is so weak right now. That's my take anyway...
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Welcome back, great looking car

Anyone know what wheels they are on the grey kitted beauty in the original post.

I recognise them but can't recall which they are and may treat myself

Cheers :D
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

I think they are ROTA Torques, could be wrong though!
Black 94' GT-S Turbo

Return to “Member Profiles”