MK2 'frunk' gas ram kits

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chris_9011

Re: MK2 'frunk' gas ram kits

Post by Chris_9011 »

Hi Andy,

They will be going out via the Royal Mail in the next day or 2 on a First class postage

Chris
:thumleft:
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

Apologies for the delay everyone, but I can confirm all strut kits have today been posted first class so they should start filtering through from tomorrow morning onwards hopefully...
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Mine arrived this morning, thank you! :thumleft:

Can't find any fitting instructions though? Haven't been out to the MR2 yet, can imagine it's difficult?
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

Awesome, that was quick... sorry, I thought I put instructions in all the packages... although I did rush to get them out yesterday so I may have missed some. I can get a pdf made up for anyone that needs one on Tuesday
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

That'd be great, thanks mate :thumleft:
Harry Cy

Post by Harry Cy »

Received and installed in 30 minutes. Very happy with the kit. I give you 5 stars mate :thumleft:
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

My kit arrived today, many thanks. Unfortunately the instructions were missing, but I thought I'd give it a bash as it looked straightforward.

Unfortunately I didn't have much luck.

At at he risk of sounding dumb, how on earth do you compress the frunk struts enough to line up with the holes so you can bolt them in place.

Off the car with one end on the floor if I really lean on them I can do this, but on the car whichever end I bolt in first, I just don't seem to be able to put enough pressure on them to make them move the inch or two needed. So I guess I'm missing a trick somewhere along the line.

Paul
Harry Cy

Post by Harry Cy »

1st You take off the the safe pins on the ball joints and you pull them out... Then you you screw the 14mm head to the Frank where the hatches are (2 bolts 14mm use the top one) and the 10mm from the fender.. Use the second one.

2ndPut the spring from its thin side towards the Frank and remove the safety pin to be able to screw it then put it on the ball head and install the safety pin.

3rdThen push the Frank up and put the side that connects to the fender with a bit power push the spring towards the ball head....it will slide in. Put the safety pin back to that. Repeat the above to the other side.

ALWAYS HAVE THE OEM THING THAT HOLDS THE FRANK UP so you don't end up with the Frank on your head.

PS I am from Cyprus so i am missing some word in my vocabulary. Good luck.
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

Pauln wrote:My kit arrived today, many thanks. Unfortunately the instructions were missing, but I thought I'd give it a bash as it looked straightforward.

Unfortunately I didn't have much luck.

At at he risk of sounding dumb, how on earth do you compress the frunk struts enough to line up with the holes so you can bolt them in place.

Off the car with one end on the floor if I really lean on them I can do this, but on the car whichever end I bolt in first, I just don't seem to be able to put enough pressure on them to make them move the inch or two needed. So I guess I'm missing a trick somewhere along the line.

Paul

Hi Paul, yes they are difficult to compress by hand, but they have to hold the bonnet up enough in high wing so need to be. Once they're on the car they are 'fairly' easy to compress enough. I'll make some pdf versions of the install guides tomorrow and post them up for the folk who I forgot to add the instructions

Chris
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Thanks both. I'll have another go this evening.

Paul
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

Fitting guides as requested... if anyone wants a pdf version, please pm me your e-mail address and I'll pop one across

Chris
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Well I finally managed to install the frunk kit last night.

I had previously tried following the method outlined in the instructions and a previous post, but still wasn't able to compress the gas lifts and get them hooked on at the same time. Just didn't have enough hands or strength.

In the end I hit on the idea of trying to use a ratchet luggage strap to keep them compressed whilst I clicked them in place. It was a bit fiddly, and it's obviously worth using a bit of rage to stop the metal ratchet scratching the lift, but I succeeded in the end.

Once on they do work well, and look the part. The gas struts also seem to be much higher quality than the ebay model I fitted to the engine lid of my old na some years ago.

Nice bit of kit.

Paul
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Got mine fitted the other day, look and feel really good - trick I used to fit them was have one person hold the bonnet as high as the hinges would allow and use a ratchet extension socket to help push the end on the ball. If any of that makes sense...
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

Thanks for the decent feedback guys... really appreciate it :thumleft:

Time to start a new list... copy and paste the list below, and add your names if you please

1. tehdub
2. shanec
Last edited by Chris_9011 on Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tehdub

Post by tehdub »

Try again! Bet no one else wants one now tho
1. tehdub
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

bump...
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Chris_9011 wrote:Thanks for the tip, I'll try out turning them around tonight on mine and see if they still fit... I think the larger section will be too big on diameter (I think I tried it when designing the final product, but I'll double check to make sure)
:thumleft:

You can pay some companies extra to have double seals fitted which allow struts to be inverted. All my gas strut kits had double seals fitted.
UrbanFreestyle

Post by UrbanFreestyle »

I would like a set of these (need to wait till end of month payday though)
Also interested if anyone does engine cover rams?

1. tehdub
2. shanec
3. Urbanfreestyle
Draven

Post by Draven »

Chris does both front and engine cover rams. :thumleft:
UrbanFreestyle

Post by UrbanFreestyle »

Would love to have both on my deuce!

Return to “Parts For Sale By Traders”