[Mk2] [Turbo] Suspension knocking and rear tie bars.

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

starmist

[Mk2] [Turbo] Suspension knocking and rear tie bars.

Post by starmist »

I have had a knocking noise coming from my suspension since i bought it.
I have replaced the front ARB bushes, drop links and top mounts but i still have the knocking.
My local garage now say it could be the rear tie bars but have quoted me £465+ vat to replace them.

Is there anything else that could be causing the knocking or can i just have the rear tie bar bushes replaced and not the complete units as the garage have said?
g.lewarne

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Suspension knocking and rear tie bars.

Post by g.lewarne »

balljoints, topmounts, shocks, knackered bushings, droplinks, steering rack / tie rods, rear tie rods, could be anything really!

you need to go investigating with a pry bar and check stuff for play. Good place to start would be giving all 4 wheels a damn good shaking and see if you can detect any play at each corner, then work from that!
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
uglee

Post by uglee »

The tie bars you are talking about are the ones that run from the rear of the subframe to the hub?

AFAIK they only come as complete units from MrT and hence the cost. I'd like a demonstration of the play in them if it's something so expensive to cure the knocking noise. Also a decent set of 2nd hand ones are worth a shot off a breaker to save that sort of money. Take 30 mins to change both and are very easy to do DIY

g.lewarne wrote:balljoints, topmounts, shocks, knackered bushings, droplinks, steering rack / tie rods, rear tie rods, could be anything really!

It really is a minefield hence I'm in the process of replacing the lot in one go. It's not been a fun day.
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

uglee wrote:

It really is a minefield hence I'm in the process of replacing the lot in one go. It's not been a fun day.

thats my idea of paradise mate! i love getting mucky with the spanners :thumleft:
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

I have all the tie bars etc from a rev 3 turbo...£20 for each pair plus delivery...all have servicable bushes or you could take the opportunity to have them polybushed and slap them staright on :thumleft:
starmist

Post by starmist »

Thanks for the replies.

Can you change the bushes in the rear tie bars for new ones. ie pro flex?
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

No, they are pressed bearings on both ends, as you don't want slack control of toe angles.

Could in theory have the bearings pushed out and replaced (one on bar, one on the hub).

Return to “Mechanical”