semi or fully synthetic mobil oil in my '94 turbo?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

richie94gts

semi or fully synthetic mobil oil in my '94 turbo?

Post by richie94gts »

I've got a '94 rev3 turbo with 74k on the clock and am having it serviced tomorrow at toyota, a basic level 1 service for £69. I have the choice of having mobil 1 fully synthetic or a mobil semi synthetic oil put in and am wondering what people would recommend.

In the past i've had magnatec but they don't have any. I'm thinking of going for the semi as it's going to be the same as i've had in the past and it's always worked well and I haven't had any problems. However, I may be persuaded to go for the fully synthetic if it's meant to be better and will work well as it's not going to cost me any more. Any thoughts

Thanks.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: semi or fully synthetic mobil oil in my '94 turbo?

Post by Lauren »

If its not going to cost anymore then go for the fully synth
stevel

Post by stevel »

mobil 1 fully synthetic & never look back :wink:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

richie94gts wrote:I've got a '94 rev3 turbo with 74k on the clock and am having it serviced tomorrow at toyota, a basic level 1 service for £69. I have the choice of having mobil 1 fully synthetic or a mobil semi synthetic oil put in and am wondering what people would recommend.

In the past i've had magnatec but they don't have any. I'm thinking of going for the semi as it's going to be the same as i've had in the past and it's always worked well and I haven't had any problems. However, I may be persuaded to go for the fully synthetic if it's meant to be better and will work well as it's not going to cost me any more. Any thoughts

Thanks.

fully synthetic is the way to go. No other type of oil should be in your car. Also no Toyota mechanic should ever touch your car. Useless isn't a strong enough word though to be fair most garages fall into that category.

Find a good recommended garage from folk near you
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

The only thing you may find is that if you start using fully synth after using semi for a long time you may find the odd leak from here and there as it's much thinner than semi synthetic fluid.
AM TUNING

Post by AM TUNING »

what ever u use just stick to it DONT chop and change between them,
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

MegatronUK wrote:The only thing you may find is that if you start using fully synth after using semi for a long time you may find the odd leak from here and there as it's much thinner than semi synthetic fluid.

really? I thought 10-40 would be the same no matter what type?
tony2311

Post by tony2311 »

isnt mobil 1 too thin for the engine it being 0-40w
stevel

Post by stevel »

tony2311 wrote:isnt mobil 1 too thin for the engine it being 0-40w

No you will be needing Mobil 1 15w-50 fully synthetic
not cheap mind
biscuitsbrown

Post by biscuitsbrown »

Hi there, try this link, it should help to explain what all the different viscosity's actually mean!

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-overview.html

The viscosity rating of an oil will tell you its thickness/clinginess (or its resistance to running with gravity) whether its natural (mineral based), semi or fully synthetic! The 'W' simply means its suitable for Winter use. A '0' rating oil is really a bit too thin for your car. Mobil 1 do several different ratings 15w-50 being one of them but they have recently started producing 10w-30 which is ideal! Its not only recommended by Mobil 1 for the turbo but also if you look under the engine cover on your car you should find the original japanese label which says (in amongst the japanese writing), 10w-30 evry 5000km!

Now i'm not an expert so don't take my word for it but in my oppinion the guys and gals who design and build our cars probably know best which thickness of oil to put in it! But deffinately go for fully synthetic as its a LOT more resistant to break down due to heat! A must for turbo cars!

Only problem is Mobil 1 10w-30 is not that readily available at the mo!

Hope thats of some help, regards Stu :D
1000 PR

Turbo oil change

Post by 1000 PR »

As my MK2 Turbo is on its umpteenth owner and coming up for 90k miles, I have no way of knowing what oils have been used in the engine before, or at what frequency oil changes have been made. It's unlikely that Toyota used fully synthetic from new so surely a semi-synthetic should be better on a higher mileage engine? I gave my car an oil change last week. Should the oil filter also be changed every 5000 km?
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Semi will be fine as long as you change it and the filter regulary. Probably a good idea on an engine with that many miles.

Oh, btw, change the filter along with the oil otherwise you're throwing your money away - the old oil in the filter will contaminate the new oil as soon as you put it in.
biscuitsbrown

Re: Turbo oil change

Post by biscuitsbrown »

1000 PR wrote:As my MK2 Turbo is on its umpteenth owner and coming up for 90k miles, I have no way of knowing what oils have been used in the engine before, or at what frequency oil changes have been made. It's unlikely that Toyota used fully synthetic from new so surely a semi-synthetic should be better on a higher mileage engine? I gave my car an oil change last week. Should the oil filter also be changed every 5000 km?

Hey dude, semi-synthetic has no advantages over fully synthetic at all. Fully synthetic is simply more resistant to thermal breakdown and shearing and has no connection to the thickness of the oil. This is simply decided by the viscosity rating, ie a 10w-30 fully synthetic is exactly the same viscosity as a 10w-30 semi-synthetic but the semi will breakdown at a lower temperature!

There'e absolutely no reason to put anything else other than fully synthetic into your Turbo! As for the viscosity its entirely your choice!
As for when to change the filter, simply whenever you change the oil. And thats as often as you want! Toyota Japan recommend every 5000km with 10w-30 oil for the MR2 turbo.

Regards Stu

:D
Pimp Juice

Post by Pimp Juice »

mobil 1 fully synthetic & never look back

Because if you use 0w 40, all you'll see is smoke.

Stick to a decent fully synth. I now use Millers 10w 60 and have been using the same engine for over a year now.
stevel

Post by stevel »

i thought Mobil 1 15w-50 fully synthetic was a decent oil :?
Pimp Juice

Post by Pimp Juice »

15w-50 is ok, but I wouldn't use 0w-40 in an older tubby.

That's what killed my first engine IMO
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

stevel wrote:i thought Mobil 1 15w-50 fully synthetic was a decent oil :?

It is!!

is it Mobil1 Motorsport or plain Mobil 1 thats 15w-50?
stevel

Post by stevel »

Mobil 1 Motorsport formula, fully synthetic 15w-50
Even has a picture of a mclaren F1 car on the container
Pimp Juice

Post by Pimp Juice »

The 601 bus which runs past my house has a picture of a cup of Typhoo tea on the side, but they don't put it in the engine. :roll:
DannyW

Post by DannyW »

Is GTX magnatec fully synthetic? because all it says on the container is "synthetic engineering".

Cheers!
DannyW

Return to “Mechanical”