Gearbox oil??

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Alex_Dunn

Gearbox oil??

Post by Alex_Dunn »

How often should this be changed and is it easy to do???
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Gearbox oil??

Post by Lauren »

Can't remember the interval exactly but think its in the region of every 20K miles.

And yes its pretty easy to do though you may have to fill from underneath the car so axle stands required.

There's a drain plug on the bottom of the gearbox and the fill plug is on the front side facing toward the cabin bulkhead about halfway up.
stevel

Post by stevel »

Check this link
For a bit more detail
stevel

Post by stevel »

My god it worked :lol:
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Gearbox oil doesnt really need changing in most cars at all till over 100k miles. I do change mine about every 20k as stated above because its cheap and easy i suppose!

Graeme
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

The Haynes says replace every 2 years :shock: .

I find the easiest way of replacing the gearbox oil is to run a piece of syphon tube from the top of the engine bay (I usually zip tie it to the engine lid) into the filler hole and tape a small funnel to it. This means you don't need to use axle stands and the car is level so you get the right level.

HTH

Chris

(Pretty much like it shows in Steves link)
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

The owners manual for my rev5 (I believe it's the same for the rev3+), which has a service interval of 9K miles the changing of the gearbox oil is every B service, so that works out at 27K miles or every 3 years.

Even though your car has a service interval of 6K, the gearbox will be the same so it probably appears in your C service - I'd do the same 27K/3yrs :)

Very easy DIY job, just need some level ground, 24mm socket and some 75W90 oil.
stevel

Post by stevel »

Also when I checked to see if the drain & filler plugs would undo easily I found out they would not budge. In fact even being careful they both started to round off. I stopped at this stage & ordered some new drain plugs + crush washers.
Glad I did as when I eventfully get them of they were shagged. Gearbox oil probably had never been changed in its life hence why i need a new lsd

Return to “Mechanical”