FAO: Samboy. The demise of HD-DVD

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lauren
IMOC Committee

FAO: Samboy. The demise of HD-DVD

Post by Lauren »

From a friend JAM as to the source:
Adult video maker Digital Playground, however, which blasted Sony for making it difficult to manufacture Blu-ray blue movies last year, and has subsequently released 20 titles in the Toshiba-backed format (including Island Fever 4, Hush and Pirates), now says it will bail on HD DVD. It cites growing independent BD replication and authoring facilities and the emerging PS3 population as reasons for its switcheroo.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
wes

Re: FAO: Samboy. The demise of HD-DVD

Post by wes »

warner brothers are ditchin hd dvd as well
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Lauren wrote:From a friend JAM as to the source:
Adult video maker Digital Playground, however, which blasted Sony for making it difficult to manufacture Blu-ray blue movies last year, and has subsequently released 20 titles in the Toshiba-backed format (including Island Fever 4, Hush and Pirates), now says it will bail on HD DVD. It cites growing independent BD replication and authoring facilities and the emerging PS3 population as reasons for its switcheroo.

:+:

Sounded like it was over at CES tbh. I like the style of your friend though, I get all of my technical news through the adult industry :+:

Incidentally, I once saw Ron Jeremy driving a BMW :aghast:
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Linkage :

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31886

The North American HD DVD Promotion Group has notified attendees at this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas that the scheduled press conference originally due to have taken place last night at 8:30pm local time was called off following the announcement from Warner Bros that it would be siding with Blu-ray in the next-gen DVD face-off.
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

Where is Sam? In bed?

:lol:
wes

Post by wes »

cheers for the quote was trying to look for one
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

nakamura wrote:Where is Sam? In bed?

Crying 8-[
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

awww you guys, did you miss me?

i went on holiday to the for sale section and my flight was delayed getting back :roll:

aaaannyway.

old news lauren :-P

what is interesting though is how theres gonna be alot of pi$$ed of bluray owners around soon when they find out there £1000 players wont play the latest movies because sony released an unfinished product and they cant update.

also toshiba announced what they call a firesale on HD-DVD and reduced most players by 50% in price.

to be honest i think its really annoying. the console war drives both companies to beat each other and give us better games and services. the HD format war is just gonna end up ripping off alot of people and is stopping alot of people like myself from upgrading from DVD.

ive said over at the OC, i wouldnt mind if bluray won cos im sure MS would support a player in the end and i jus want a HD movie collection.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

It's reasons like this that no one wants to spend hundreds of pounds upgrading.

I'm glad I havent bought an HD DVD player thats for sure but I wont be buying a Blu-Ray one in the near future either.

Sony just xxxxx it all up.
mikee66

Post by mikee66 »

no sony was smart, they added it to their flagship gaming machine making it far more accessible and therefore giving it a greater chance of survival.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

It's not far more accessable though?

Not yet at least. When it first came out you werent going to get it unless you bought a PS3 or an even more expensive stand alone machine. Where as HD DVD players were coming down in price and more readily available.

There's a couple of bargain HD players but the blu ray ones all seem to be £300+

HD was already out long before Sony pushed Blu ray onto us as well.

Like I said, I dont own either a blu ray or HD player so I'm standing to one side. But there didnt have to be this issue if Sony didnt force Blu Ray on us lol.
mikee66

Post by mikee66 »

yeah hd is cheaper now but so are mini-disc players.

ok the stand-alone players are £300 or you could spend that and get a bleeding edge gaming console too, the ps3 is arguable the best blu-ray player also.

also people looking for both will look at this

ps3 (plays blu ray) £299
xbox 360 elite (cos it has a hd and hdmi and is the nearest equiv) £299 + £100 for hd-dvd = £399

buy a ps3 and save £100 (if you get an elite obv)

Sony have been really smart about this imo
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Not every one wants a games console though. I already have a 360 and 12+ games. I dont want a PS3.

I just want a sub £200+ way of watching DVD's in HD.

I have 2 ways of this with HD - the 360 add on or there's a £170 stand alone unit at Richer Sounds right now.

As it stands, THANKS to Sony for making my descion that much harder. If HD and Blu Ray both carried on then I would go HD as it's MY cheapest and most convenient way in. But it seems like that choice has created un-needed competition and could signal the down fall of one format. So now I wont buy either.

Well done both of them.
thai boxer

Post by thai boxer »

HD DVD and Blueray will both be obsolete soon ladies.

Waste of money. :eye:
Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

How soon is soon?

I hate wasting money you see. I dont want to buy one format if it will be obsolete within a few years and I dont want to buy the other (more expensive one) if the cheaper option DOESNT go obsolete.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Matt, HDdvd was never gonna last it could only hold 30 gig of data compared to 50 gig on bluray,More is always best :lol:

But sony were very smart with the ps2 for most people that was their first dvd player and what realy made dvd's take off in the first place, its just history repeating itself except in HD :lol:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Lol, my PS2 was indeed my first DVD player. It was fooking xxxx though. I ended up buying a £50 one from some where that was 10x better.

I hated that PS2 though, put me off Sony for ever. I had a PS1 as well and that was parp too.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Weird ive still got my ps2 and had a ps1 never had no problems with either but i never used my ps2 as dvd player i was one of those xxxx that bought a dvd player for 300 sobs when they had just come out :lol:

Always liked sony stuff guess that makes me sonys whore :mrgreen:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I dont mind Sony Products. I've got a HUGE Sony Hi-Fi that I paid about £700 for.

The DVD player on the PS2 used to skip and stop and all sorts, it was terrible IMO.

I also just didnt like the games on either ps1 or ps2.

I enjoyed my early consoles, nes, snes, megadrive. But then the PS1 came out and I went off them all. Then the PS2 made me go further off them. Now I'm back cause I enjoy my xbox.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

As it stands, THANKS to Sony for making my descion that much harder.

glol, IRTA "I think I invested in the wrong format, and now i'm pi$$ed off."

You can't blame Sony for backing a superior format can you? :tongue:

Return to “Games Consoles”