Rear wheel bearing replacement

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dukey

Rear wheel bearing replacement

Post by Dukey »

Hi guys,

I think my drivers side rear wheel bearing has gone. Once jacked up it rocks quite alot from side to side. Ive tried doing the big nut up tighter in the centre but its still the same and wont go any tighter.

Therefore must be the bearing, correct?

Any idea how much these are approx, and also how easy they are to fit?

Thanks in advance.

Duke
Baker

Re: Rear wheel bearing replacement

Post by Baker »

total job cost me £60 from a local mechanic. shouldnt cost much more than that. dont bother trying it yourself, aparantly its a biatch of a job.
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

It is a b1tch, those are big bearings, ive done 2, you need a good large press.

Graeme
Dukey

Post by Dukey »

Thanks people,

Does anybody know how dangerous this can be? It only slightly wobbles and doesnt seem to drive any different. Its just im not going to get chance to get it done for a few weeks, is it still safe to drive on??
SimonPearse

Post by SimonPearse »

Dukey wrote:Thanks people,

Does anybody know how dangerous this can be? It only slightly wobbles and doesnt seem to drive any different. Its just im not going to get chance to get it done for a few weeks, is it still safe to drive on??

I'm not an expert on MR2 rear hubs, but as a general rule....depends on what you mean by slightly wobbles... how many mm movement do you get at the tyre tread ( wheel off the ground, handbrake OFF). Knackered wheel bearings will usualy go on for a long time(gradualy making more noise) before they collapse. Ultimately the wheel wobble is limited by the brake disk and pads, so they may take a bit of punishment, but it's not common for the wheel to come off...... If the bearing snatches or siezes then it will spin the outer race in the hub and knacker the hub.
If the play is only a couple of mm then you have a knackered bearing, but if you keep your eye (and ears) on it it will probably last a few weeks ok. dont thrash it and start looking out for a spare hub!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Had a similar problem with my car; there was a small amount of play with one of the rear wheels. Left it for a for a few weeks and ended up needing new bearing + new hub (i think hubs are £200+ new; managed to get one from breakers). The garage told me that the knackered bearing had bent the hub out of shape so personally I wouldn't leave it too long.

Simon

Return to “Mechanical”