MK1 Anoraks: Priceage of rubbing strips for side of car

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lauren
IMOC Committee

MK1 Anoraks: Priceage of rubbing strips for side of car

Post by Lauren »

I have an early 86 car that is going to be repaired, well restored would probably be a better description.

I am having the bumpers returned to black as well as the lip spoiler etc.

I also want to get the black rubbing/side strips fitted but the car doesn't currently have them.

does anyone know if they are mega bucks from MrT? If they are reasonable in price i'm happy to buy new ones. If they are stupidly expensive then does anyone know a good source or have any?

They need to be black btw.

cheers, Lauren
waynestoyotamr2

Re: MK1 Anoraks: Priceage of rubbing strips for side of car

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

Not sure if they are mega bucks from MrT. Last time I looked there was a site in Canada selling them fairly reasonably. I think twosrus do them aswell tbh.
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

waynestoyotamr2 wrote:Not sure if they are mega bucks from MrT. Last time I looked there was a site in Canada selling them fairly reasonably. I think twosrus do them aswell tbh.

Cheers Wayne, will have a look.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

waynestoyotamr2 wrote:Not sure if they are mega bucks from MrT. Last time I looked there was a site in Canada selling them fairly reasonably. I think twosrus do them aswell tbh.

Had a look at twosrus and they sell the rubbers for the sideskirts but not the rubbing strip. I think i'll price it up at MrT next week as i'm not overly keen on importing from North America particularly as the car will be going in the bodshop shortly so i would rather pay a premium to get them done at the same time as the arches, colour coding etc.
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

Pah!

Oh well, let us know how much they are anyway Lauren, just out of interest.
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

leave em off lauren,they look a lot cleaner without them...or is it a return to factory spec job?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Paul Woods wrote:leave em off lauren,they look a lot cleaner without them...or is it a return to factory spec job?

I want it to look as stock as possible so am quite keen on them as i like the contrast with black stripes on a red car
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

if they are mega money i have the rear ones and doors on a car i`m breaking.they are old but good if you get stuck give me a shout.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

just a thought if you are going back to original i also have the rear trim ,the bit the real mk1s had in place of the side skirts,these i know are mega money.£75 each!!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

crazylegs wrote:just a thought if you are going back to original i also have the rear trim ,the bit the real mk1s had in place of the side skirts,these i know are mega money.£75 each!!

The original triangle bit for the early cars? I have seen these was toying whether to put one on or not, though Mark reckons they don't look too good and being metal i'm not sure whether they are more trouble than they are worth.

I think i'm going to leave as is while its restored and then have a look at it a few months down the line, once the car is on the road. Cheers anyway though :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

crazylegs wrote:if they are mega money i have the rear ones and doors on a car i`m breaking.they are old but good if you get stuck give me a shout.

Will do Crazylegs, i'm going to pop down to MrT tomorrow and get a price for the rubbing strips, will report back on costings.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Updateage from MrT

Post by Lauren »

Well off i trundled to MrT with all the part numbers.

Apparently all the side rubbing strips are discontinued but they have a few of them in stock:

N/side door @ £63
both rear quarters @ £30 each

They also have another one but the guy didn't know which one it was priced at £14 i'm guessing one of the front ones as they are tiny.

Also they don't do the stereo mounts which I also need! :(

Oh the fun of restoration!
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

Lauren the rear triangle bits are plactic not metal.They are available, just .I have just bought two new ones and was told there were only seven sets left.This was a month or so ago.So if you want to get new ones I`d hurry.They are £75 each! ouch!
Whats the best way to take the side strips off?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Whats the best way to take the side strips off?
heat gun used gently and a very sharp stanley blade.
MarkyMR2

Post by MarkyMR2 »

I'll ask my mate, he tracked down a company that does side mouldings cheap and A1 quality. He has a A1 3Door Cosworth and had probs tracking them down. (unsure though if they only do Fords but worth askin him) :wink:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

MarkyMR2 wrote:I'll ask my mate, he tracked down a company that does side mouldings cheap and A1 quality. He has a A1 3Door Cosworth and had probs tracking them down. (unsure though if they only do Fords but worth askin him) :wink:

Cheers, though it looks like i shall only need the front wing ones, but there may be the odd person out there that may want some too.
MarkyMR2

Post by MarkyMR2 »

Sorry if I bilt anyones hopes up, just chatted to me mate, and the place he got his ONLY do Cosworth side mouldings
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

MarkyMR2 wrote:Sorry if I bilt anyones hopes up, just chatted to me mate, and the place he got his ONLY do Cosworth side mouldings

Thats okay, thanx for trying.

It looks like i've sourced most of them so will just wait for the other ones i need to come along.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”