XBOX 360 vs PS3

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

blue2

XBOX 360 vs PS3

Post by blue2 »

Is there any big difference (apart from blueray) between the 360 and the ps3. I'm looking at the xbox360 simply due to the availability of more driving games.
That leads me to my second question-Im used to playing pc sim driving games like gtr2 and test drive unlimited. How realistic are driving games like forza and project gotham? are they sims or more arcade (easy to drive) styles?
Cheers, this will help me make a decision. :D
Spittinflames

Re: XBOX 360 vs PS3

Post by Spittinflames »

I bought my 360 because everyone said they were so good..... mainly bought for forza and GOW, both good games in there own right... but nothing special. Sold the 360 within a month.

As long as you've got a good pc set up then theres no need for a 360 unless you like arcade style games... but then again the pc can do that too and better.

Me a prefer Gtr-2 over forza racing anyday.

Pc's are the ultimate for me, Consoles are just to arcadey
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

Forza is a sim and a damn good one!!

PGR is more of an arcade style game but is still damn good.

theres a demo for both on the marketplace and there free to download so you could always try them out and see what you think!!

as for PS3 vs Xbox, we have this discussion all the time and we never come up with an answer lol.

personally im in camp microsoft. love my xbox and the ps3 hasnt done anything to impress me as yet.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I've had a PS3 for a few months. It seems to be a good console, though much criticism has been levelled at the lack of games for it in comparison with the 360.

Obviously this is to be expected given that the PS3 hasn't been out that long in comparison.

In terms of performance or 'power' the PS3 certainly has the edge, though again that is not surprising given it was released way after the 360.

The worry about reliability with the 360 has been much publicised. The PS3 does not seem to be afflicted in the same way. I haven't seen any evidence that microsoft have gone to any lengths to resolve the problem other than continually replacing your 360 everytime it blows up.

Obviously there is all the furore about Gran turismo 5, though its release may well be a way off yet, so you'll have to be kept happy with prologue when that comes out at the end of the year. Having played the demo for prologue i can report that it is indeed very good. At 1080p it really is very impressive and not arcadey at all in handling terms.

There is DiRT which is available now. This is a good game but of course you can get it on the 360 though the frame rate is lower though i have no idea if this detracts from the experience or not.

Next year there will be Race driver one (working title.. basically- Toca4) Toca 3 really set the standard for realism in racing games on the PS2. So this one is much awaited.

I guess what it boils down to is this; Are you happy waiting a bit for the appropriate titles to come out on the PS3 or do you just want to get stuck in with what is currently available? If its the latter then there is the 360. If you don't mind waiting then go for the PS3.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Depends how much money you wanna spend really.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt_mr2t wrote:Depends how much money you wanna spend really.

Good point. Though its worth factoring in the £40 a year that it will cost for Xbox live. PS3 doesn't have an online cost as such.
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Thanks for the replies. Not sure what to do as my pc spec is pretty good. I have dirt on the pc and its really good, the graphics are amazing. I guess it comes down to the size of my monitor. Mine is a 19" but with a console I get the option of a 42" widescreen which is much more fun.
I think I'll bide my time for now and see what games come out on the ps3 and see how the price drops on both.
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

I'd go with 360 due to the playability of the games and the x box live community.

Its still beating ps3 hands down in the awards too.

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

i got both the ps3 and 360 and i say get the ps3. especially if u dont wanna listen to a jet plane takin off everytime you play a game. the ps3 does have some great games, resistance is amazing on and offline. the ps3 also has built in wireless which is an extra £50 on the 360. the ps3 also has much much much better games coming out then the 360 at the start of next year
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

yea like what H3RB?

i really do try not to start ps3 vs xbox wars but i cant help but correct some of the stuff u guys come out with.

the PS3 doesnt have an edge over the 360 at all. people jus bang on about how good the cell is without checking to see if the rest of the hardware is up to the job.

im not saying the 360 is better either but jus as you can say the cell rocks i can say the GPU on the xbox is far better.

it comes down to games in the end and even you must be getting bored of saying resistance is good.

after talking about this so many millions of times ive decided its simply down to what you want and which console has the games you want.

both consoles have there good points and bad so you jus have to choose what u like the look of.
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Heres another question, how does the xbox live work. Do you need an existing isp or do you have to pay for a seperte one? Whats the deal with the ps3 internet? Finally what is the purpose of the hard drive, can you record off the tv onto it or is it purely for storing games?
So graphically the 360 and the ps3 are pretty much the same?
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

metal gear 4, kill zone 2, gt 5 un real, haze, drake uncharted fortune, assasins creed, metal gear online, little big planet. those are just a few that are coming out the end of this year start of next fair enough assasins creed and un real are coming out on 360 but with the hassel the dev team had with assasins creed for the 360 i wouldnt hold your breath on the frame rate.

and no i dont get tired saying resistance is good, go play it a few hours and see what i mean, its just like sayin dont you get bored of saying gears is good? when its utter poo lol

id play resistance over halo, gow, bioshock any day.

on another note... get jericho for the 360 that was awsome best graphics ive seen on the 360 yet.
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

metal gear is most likley coming to the 360 too.

ubisoft are having trouble with the size of DVD9 which wont effect framerate at all.

the PS3 on the other hand doesnt have enough memory which could cause issues when running the game.

they announced both problems at the same time but i think if valve can fit the orange box on one disc then ubi need to work a lil harder.

Haze ill give ya, that does look good and it was a good move by sony to secure that title.

and i meant resistance is only one of 3 games that are suppoed to be any good on the PS3 at the mo where as if i wanted to list 360 games i could list a whole lot more.

as for GT5, well any game they are releasing twice you can keep lol. right scam if you ask me!

i played the demo of jericho and wasnt that impressed. seemed really dark on my TV. ill have to haver another look.
banny

Post by banny »

im starting to really hate my xbox its constitantly breaking and costing me money as the extended 3 year warrenty is only for the 3 flashing lights where as mine seems to have other problems it also decided to scratch my brand new pes2008 yesterday just randomly while i was playing which at 40 quid and 1 day old i then rung xbox up who said they cant do anythink even though i clearly explained it was there consols fault but just get sum american on the other end who cant even understand my accent so i ended up hanging up ](*,) ."rant over" basically i love my 360 when it works and there are plenty or good/great games for it and with the amount of second hand games about and the prices of them dropping so much its definetly worth buying one. just hope ur pateint when it breaks because im certainly fed up with it and thinking of selling to upgrade my pc!
banny

Post by banny »

so angry double posted :D
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

PS3 is pretty good. Who cares what the internals are all about. The games are going to be good on either one.

What I'm more bothered about is why won't microsoft and sony do it so we can all play on line together as long as we have the same game regardless of what console it's on? I mean it just makes sense. If they won't do it (no doubt something to do with money) then some independant firm should do it.

My cousin and I were discussing this the other night. Shame everyone else in my family has a 360 lol. It now means I have to get one to play online with them.

edit: who cares that there aren't many games out yet. Really you brought all of them? Theres always games to play. (general comment that, not aimed at anyone) I personally have found the normal difficulty setting on games like Heavenly Sword and Resistance too easy. In fact WAY too easy! Heaven;y sword just needs to be longer really. Resistance: great length but again TOO easy! Was only difficult once towards the end. Then I realised what I had to do and it became easy lol. I'm not the kind of guy that replays an entire game after I've completed it, despite the temptation of "new weapons", so can't be ar$ed to replay on hard or "hell mode".

I'm waiting for assasins creed :) and Army of Two which looks FRIKIN AWESOME! Going to go get pro evo this week (trade in Fifa) and possibly armoured core.
Last edited by ENSMR2 on Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

banny wrote:im starting to really hate my xbox its constitantly breaking and costing me money as the extended 3 year warrenty is only for the 3 flashing lights where as mine seems to have other problems it also decided to scratch my brand new pes2008 yesterday just randomly while i was playing which at 40 quid and 1 day old i then rung xbox up who said they cant do anythink even though i clearly explained it was there consols fault but just get sum american on the other end who cant even understand my accent so i ended up hanging up ](*,) ."rant over" basically i love my 360 when it works and there are plenty or good/great games for it and with the amount of second hand games about and the prices of them dropping so much its definetly worth buying one. just hope ur pateint when it breaks because im certainly fed up with it and thinking of selling to upgrade my pc!

that sux dude. i have to admit mine broke twice but they had it bak both times within a week and the second time i got a free months trial and 2 free games.

ENSMR2 wrote:PS3 is pretty good. Who cares what the internals are all about. The games are going to be good on either one.

What I'm more bothered about is why won't microsoft and sony do it so we can all play on line together as long as we have the same game regardless of what console it's on? I mean it just makes sense. If they won't do it (no doubt something to do with money) then some independant firm should do it.

My cousin and I were discussing this the other night. Shame everyone else in my family has a 360 lol. It now means I have to get one to play online with them.

EA recently started talking about the same thing and they reckon in 10 years there will be jus one platform for all games to be played on.

i think aslong as they keep up the effort they currently put in due to competition then it would be a great idea.
Last edited by SamUK on Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

banny wrote:im starting to really hate my xbox its constitantly breaking and costing me money as the extended 3 year warrenty is only for the 3 flashing lights where as mine seems to have other problems it also decided to scratch my brand new pes2008 yesterday just randomly while i was playing which at 40 quid and 1 day old i then rung xbox up who said they cant do anythink even though i clearly explained it was there consols fault but just get sum american on the other end who cant even understand my accent so i ended up hanging up ](*,) ."rant over" basically i love my 360 when it works and there are plenty or good/great games for it and with the amount of second hand games about and the prices of them dropping so much its definetly worth buying one. just hope ur pateint when it breaks because im certainly fed up with it and thinking of selling to upgrade my pc!

Certainly the lack of reliability of the Xbox has got to be a cause for concern.
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

id be interested to see the failure rate of the new elite console package.

see if they have sorted it yet cos i think there meant to of.
hicks

Post by hicks »

i think at the minute the xbox has the edge for choice of games but the ps3 is catching and i have a feeling will pass the xbox for quality.

ive got a 360 and love it. play it alot at the moment and there seems to be alot coming out at the moment.

the reliability does worry me but mnes been ok so far. it has scratched my forza 2 disc though too the point of not being playable.

when the game base increases and for the ps3 and the prices come down somemore then i may end up getting a ps3 aswell but cant see that happening until gt5 comes out really.

if you have a pc that decent it might be best too upgrade that though, but for me i cant be bothered with contstantly upgrading all the time. just like too pick up and play.

Return to “Games Consoles”