valve clearance?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stevel

valve clearance?

Post by stevel »

I have been toying with the idea of having a crack at changing my cam belt, I also noticed on the 60k service something about checking & adjusting valve clearance.
Is this an important task to do, if so how easy is it or should I just let MrT do the whole thing after having re mortgaged my house
^Trickster^

Re: valve clearance?

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Dont waste your time mate, you only need to do valve clearance if your have lots of valve noise which you get from valve clearance being too big or small, thus needing to alter the shims.

Graeme
stevel

Post by stevel »

Cheers Graeme I dont think i will bother with that then :D
gtschris.com

Post by gtschris.com »

^Trickster^ wrote:Dont waste your time mate, you only need to do valve clearance if your have lots of valve noise which you get from valve clearance being too big or small, thus needing to alter the shims.

Graeme

If it were me i would check as its alot easier to adjust if the timing belts coming off as you can whip the cams out easy, your probl not like me and trickster who seem to have had our engine in and out more times than JJ breaks the national speed limit.
www.gtschris.com
tel: 01670 737080
mob: 07786070103
JJ

Post by JJ »

Hardy har ! :lol:

Within tolerances of

Intake 0.15 - 0.25

Exhaust 0.20 - 0.30

This is usually the side that starts to go out first due to carbon build up on the valve seats = valves don't fully retract to its original position and thus creates a larger "gap" between the cam and the follower.

:wink:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
stevel

Post by stevel »

Thanks guys

I may well lube up & have Toyota do it. There not a bad outfit in Northampton.
At least i will have a peace of mind & like Chris says it's easier to do if the belt being done as well.

Steve
gtschris.com

Post by gtschris.com »

stevel wrote:Thanks guys

I may well lube up & have Toyota do it. There not a bad outfit in Northampton.
At least i will have a peace of mind & like Chris says it's easier to do if the belt being done as well.

Steve

No KY required, free blag lesson from gtschris.

get a price for the cam belt swap, get the guys name, then ring back 4 hours later.........

"hi, Barry (whatever) we spoke earlier about my mr2 timing belt swap, listen i would really like to use you guys as i have only heard good things about your mechanics but i am on a tight budget and Toyota "next local town" said they would do the timing belt and check my valve clearnaces for the same £300 (or whatever) you guys quote me for just the belt change, the works yours if you'll match there price on both jobs"

let me know how you get on :)
www.gtschris.com
tel: 01670 737080
mob: 07786070103

Return to “Mechanical”