Wierdness

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pizza boy

Wierdness

Post by pizza boy »

Been experiencing misfires etc when putting the car under load. It pointed to the usual suspects...dizzy/rotor/plugs. Checked dizzy and it looks shot..heavy deposits on all 4 contacts. So im ordering new items of all three.
The wierd thing was..when I started my car (a very troubled start I should add)the idle was as usual lumpy BUT when I stabbed the throttle the engine revs dropped to 200rpm and went very quiete....and all I could hear was my induction kit sucking in air and the boost gauge winding up and down from 0 to 1.5 Bar! AND the revs moving up to 2000rpm and down to 200rpm all on its own without me touching the throttle! WTF?! Looking back at it it was pretty comedy.

Questions:
What the hell would cause this reaction from the car?
Also is it normal for dizzys to be eaten in 12 months?
^Trickster^

Re: Wierdness

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Dizzy's dopnt last long on our cars, I change mine every 6 months including the rotor arm, i run copper plugs so they get changed frequently too.

It seems strange the problem you have described, theres no way your car could of made 1.5bar of boost without any load on the engine, get your parts replaced and then see what happens, remember theres no point trying to find a fault when theres already things that have problems that you are aware of.

Graeme
pizza boy

Post by pizza boy »

Sorry it wasnt 1.5 bar it was about 0.9 duh! Still daft tho huh. Cant imagine what made the dials/engine go whacko like that. You change in 6 months!! Looks like im ordering a copper contact dizzy from that group buy soon.
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Id stick with stock ignition components, they are good quality, its more difficult for the spark plug to create an efficient spark in higher temperture high pressure environments like in a forced induction engine unlike an NA, especially at high boost and rpm levels. You should try and keep all ignition components in top shape to get the best from you engine, alot of people put ignition to one side but its still one of the most important and overlooked part!

Graeme

Return to “Mechanical”