Camber adjustments on 92J GLtd

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

og2436

Camber adjustments on 92J GLtd

Post by og2436 »

I took my car in for a full laser alignment a few days ago and discovered that the camber isn't adjustable... on my left front and right rear wheels it's out by about 0.75 degrees. They said this amount was negligible but would it be worth me getting some new shocks so I can have it set up right??
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Camber adjustments on 92J GLtd

Post by Lauren »

Changing to different dampers will have no effect on the camber as its set by the camber lugs on the top bolt where the hub bolts to the strut.

Camber constantly changes whent the car is on the road and 'McCrapson struts' have appalling bad camber control anyway so it won't make a mega difference.

Toe settings, however are a much more crucial to get right.
Bry

Post by Bry »

og2436 wrote:I took my car in for a full laser alignment a few days ago and discovered that the camber isn't adjustable... on my left front and right rear wheels it's out by about 0.75 degrees. They said this amount was negligible but would it be worth me getting some new shocks so I can have it set up right??

If you really want to change your camber settings,you could fit some camber adjustable top mounts,but remember these will seriously wear the inside edge of your tyres if you run too much negative camber!
Bry
Watch out OZ here I come !!
jonno

Post by jonno »

og2436 wrote:I took my car in for a full laser alignment a few days ago and discovered that the camber isn't adjustable... on my left front and right rear wheels it's out by about 0.75 degrees. They said this amount was negligible but would it be worth me getting some new shocks so I can have it set up right??

0.75 of a degree is nothing, leave it alone. They are just trying to flog you some new suspension. It is worth fiddling with the toe settings as they make a huge difference. Personally the biggest change to handling on my car was fitting decent tyres - I cant stress enough how much difference it makes to use the best tyres you can afford.

Try these settings next time MR2 Mania Wheel Alignment Settings

Neil.
og2436

Post by og2436 »

Thanks Neil - they actually suggested that I take the car elsewhere if I wanted new holes in the struts to adjust the camber. The toe settings are sorted fortunately :)

I'm running Yoko A539s at the moment but have heard good things about Bridgestone Potenzas...which are best??
jonno

Post by jonno »

og2436 wrote:Thanks Neil - they actually suggested that I take the car elsewhere if I wanted new holes in the struts to adjust the camber. The toe settings are sorted fortunately :)

I'm running Yoko A539s at the moment but have heard good things about Bridgestone Potenzas...which are best??

A539's and Bridgestone Potenza S03's are in totally different leagues IMHO. S03's are one of the best all rounds tyres money can buy - just at home on the road and on track. Excellent wet and dry grip - just a shame they dont last longer :?
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

you can buy different size bolt (3 size from toyota to adjust the camber)

Toyota Part Number Size (mm) Degrees of Change
Big size 90105-15004 13.9 +/- 0.25
Middle 90105-15005 13.3 +/-0.50
Small 90105-15006 12.8? +/-0.75
jonno

Post by jonno »

SFLee wrote:you can buy different size bolt (3 size from toyota to adjust the camber)

Toyota Part Number Size (mm) Degrees of Change
Big size 90105-15004 13.9 +/- 0.25
Middle 90105-15005 13.3 +/-0.50
Small 90105-15006 12.8? +/-0.75

I have messed around with this, not with the toyota bolts but with metric equivalents. To be honest the camber doesent really make *that* much difference as long as its not much more than a degree out of toyota spec.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”