Side Swiped!!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JT

Side Swiped!!

Post by JT »

Hey there guys and girls, Firstly merry Christmas! Not so merry for some though when you find that ur pride and joy has been hit by some xxxxxx in the middle of the night! :evil: Things were going so well. Only had my MR2 for about 6 months. :cry: Ok question is now that I have calmed down any one know of some good repairers in the london area? preferably south or west? not looking to go through insurance for obvious reasons (rip off merchants!) so something good and cheap would be nice! Any one own a bodyshop and want to take a look? PLease help! Cheers.
Kam

Re: Side Swiped!!

Post by Kam »

Alright mate,
Sorry to hear about your car, what happened exactly, didn't you hear nothing? You might wanna think about letting your insurance company know incase the to**er tries to counter-claim or something, coz you dont want him trying something like that and you aint told em nothing, think you can fill in a claim form 'for information purposes only' (I'm sure someone here can verify that), incase it happens.
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

I don't blame you for not wanting to go down the insurance route on this. For a £600 (or whatever - figure plucked out of the air) repair paid out of your own pocket, could escalate to triple that spread over several years if you involve the insurance company. I speak from experience! :cry:

Sorry to hear about the car, though. Some people have no respect for other people's property.
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by Bry »

I've got a couple of spare wings if you need a new wing :)
Watch out OZ here I come !!
Jayng

good repairer

Post by Jayng »

Hey Bry,

Sorry to hear about your car. I`ve got a mate who`s been in the bodyshop business for about 15yrs. I used to send customers to him if they needed bodywork and they always came back with nothing but good things to say about his work.

His name is Duncan and you can email direct to his mobile.

[email protected]

He`s based in the Raynes Park area so should be near you.

Tell him that Jay recommended him to you.

BTw he works out of a self built workshop next to his house right on the A3. Don`t let that put you off because he is really good. He won`t shaft you. Just be honest with him about what type of job you want done on the car and he`ll give you a good quote.

Hope this helps,
Bry

Post by Bry »

Not me mate :shock: ,my car's ok thank god :lol: It's the guy called JT :wink:
JT

Post by JT »

Cheers guys, Have still not done anything about it thanks for the info Bry and Jayng. Bry damage is at the rear near side didn't think it was a replaceable panel? not sure though. Wing is at the front or back! excuse my ignorance. Jayng u sure its ok to ask ur mate would be really helpful? looking at it more closely looks quite bad.
Bry

Post by Bry »

JT wrote:Cheers guys, Have still not done anything about it thanks for the info Bry and Jayng. Bry damage is at the rear near side didn't think it was a replaceable panel? not sure though. Wing is at the front or back! excuse my ignorance. Jayng u sure its ok to ask ur mate would be really helpful? looking at it more closely looks quite bad.

Wings are at the front and are bolt on parts,unfortunetly it sounds like you've damaged the quarter panel which are not bolt on panels so it will need to go to a good body shop :( Good luck with it all
Bry :)
Jayng

Post by Jayng »

Sorry Bry ;-)

JT, the rear quarter can be changed but it isnt going to be cheap. I`ve let my mate know via email that you might contact him. You should just arrange for a veiwing and he`ll let you know what you can do.

It might look bad as it`s your own car and you`re not in the car trade... so maybe it won`t need a rear quarter replaced. if it does need a rear quarter then it`ll be expensive no matter who you take it to.

whereabouts exactly on the rear quarter JT?? wheelarch to rear bumper?? Or closer to the door??

Try my mate after new year as I he hasnt answered back yet and maybe down the coast visiting his mum.

take care
og2436

Post by og2436 »

That sucks mate, but I've had equally bad misfortune.

Bought my MR2 in September. Booked it in for a respray at the end of October.

1 week before respray due, I get reversed into (I was in the car). This actually worked to my advantage since I had the respray done at the same time as the repairs :wink:

Get my car back after about 2 weeks. 1 week later, car gets hit again whilst parked overnight!!

Fortunately the kind soul left her insurance details, but I was pi$$ed off :?
JT

Post by JT »

Cheers Jayng, will defo send him an email. Hasn't damaged the door at all just rear quarter where air in take is , fuel cap is ok though, and the whole wheel arch. bumper is a little bit damaged but think only needs a fibre glass repair. may need a bit of bending around boot as well but not too bad. :?
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Its called sods law mate !!, you get your car looking sweet and then some bu88er rams it, i know from experience and im going through the same thing now, my neighbour backed off her drive straight into my rear wing, she has admitted liability and we're both fully comp so i thopuight it would be straight forward.........WRONG!!!!, BUT.... and this is the big but, when i went along to their appointed repair shop cos i couldnt find anyone in my area i could trust to get my car back to the way it was, they overpriced the repair so much ( by almost £1,100 overprice compared to a bodyshop near me which i dont like that much ) her insurance company have told me my car is a total loss !! and offered me my car back and £700 cos thats all they think my car is worth !! ( take a look at my profile pic ?? is this a £700 car ? .. Noooo ), so ive sent them all sorts of bills , valuation cert, clippings, pics of the car etc to substanciate my claim for a higher payout, fortunatly Paul woods is doing the repair for me but it still means i have to get the car to him up north, and to rub salt into the wound, my neighbour had her car repaired and back on her drive within 10 days, now thats a kick in the balls !!!!, so my advice is, if you can afford to get it repaired yourself go that route, cos if the insurance company get involved they may decide to write your car off then you will have to go through all the hassle that im going through now, but you have to make up your mind quickly what route your going to take because if your going to claim on your insurance your gonna have to explain why you didnt inform them earlier of the time of the accident, and if you dont claim i also agree that you have to inform them cos if they counter claim and you didnt inform your insurance company you may find you will end up paying for their repairs too, just tell them you were away at relatives over the christmas period and only noticed when you returned, sorry this is a bit long winded i could probably say this better than i write it, but im so angry at the way we all get treated by insurance company's its no small wonder people drive around without it, hope you get sorted soon, all the best, Jinxy

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”