Improving MK1 headlights

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MattLG

Improving MK1 headlights

Post by MattLG »

What's the best way to improve the headlights on a MK1? I've tried getting these "30% brighter" lights from Halfords and didn't really notice much of an improvement.

It seems to me that modern cars have much brighter lights, even those without Xenons. Is there anything I can do to emulate modern lighting?

MattLG
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Re: Improving MK1 headlights

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

look under the new 'knowledge base' info there.
MattLG

Post by MattLG »

I checked that but couldn't see anything specific to this. Is there an article the search hasn't thrown up?

MattLG
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Have a clicky on this. See if it works......

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=44

HTH
luke
MattLG

Post by MattLG »

I think you've misunderstood the question. I know how to change the lights, I'm trying to find some lights that are worth changing to. I've tried Halfords "upgrades" but their useless, they're no brighter than stock headlights.

MattLG
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

you're mk1 to be honest is getting on a bit now! it might just be worn reflectors.

you could try high wattage bulbs but you'd have to run a meter on the wiring to make sure it could handle the extra current.

i'm not sure but MKII headlights may fit a MK1, you could see if they fit and try swapping them for some new-ish MKII headlamps from a scrappy?

i myself went out and out with HID's although not very legal :( shame as there the nuts!
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

I got some 50% brighter philips bulbs. they are 55w jobbies.. They've done the trick quite nicely. Got em off ebay for £14 pair (new)
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Goldy wrote:I got some 50% brighter philips bulbs. they are 55w jobbies.. They've done the trick quite nicely. Got em off ebay for £14 pair (new)

As per the KB article - I have used the Halfords +30 and +50% bulbs. Note they're still 55W so there are no problems with wiring / fuses at all - they're brighter as they're more efficient and the filament is hotter.

The +30 bulbs were a little brighter, but the +50% ones were actually notably better - the difference between them on my MK2 Turbo was much less.

ISTR Lauren a long while back on the Old IMOC email list saying that Honda Acclaim headlamps were a direct replacement for MK1 headlamps - so if you fancied fitting new headlamps (with new internal reflector) and brighter bulbs you'd probably get the best improvement.

I'd say mine currently are passable, previously with standard bulbs they were bad.

Make sure you also get the headlamp aligned properly too - that makes a big difference.
John

Post by John »

I put 110W bulbs in mine - no probs with the wiring yet! That was over a year ago too, it's survived 2 winters.

Passed the MOT too (I forgot to change them back) - so that suggests the bright bulbs have brought the dull reflectors up to normal brightness!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Chris 'aka rustboy' Ammon wrote:you're mk1 to be honest is getting on a bit now! it might just be worn reflectors.

you could try high wattage bulbs but you'd have to run a meter on the wiring to make sure it could handle the extra current.

i'm not sure but MKII headlights may fit a MK1, you could see if they fit and try swapping them for some new-ish MKII headlamps from a scrappy?

i myself went out and out with HID's although not very legal :( shame as there the nuts!

The reflectors don't wear out do they chris???

I actually think the stock headlamps on a MK1 are okay. A lot of people forget to keep the headlamp glass clean as they are out of sight in daylight of course.

i thought the reflectors and glass would dull after a while?

my MK1 headlamps were better once i replaced the aging old cacky bulbs that were in them.

good point though lauren! try some t-cut on the glass and that should remove the really tough dirt!
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

Anyone know what bulbs are available to upgrade the Rogue lowrise quad jobbies - they seem a bit yellow.. wouldn't mind brightening them up a little (whiter light)

I would ask Patrick - but I'm sure he'll pass out if i called him "again!!"
see you next Friday by the way Patrick :wink:

anything made by PIAA is pretty white looking! also if there sidelight wedge type bulbs you could try some LED's off ultra LED's.

i had a link for PIAA bulbs, i'll pm it to you later if i remember to dig it out mate ;)
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

John wrote:I put 110W bulbs in mine - no probs with the wiring yet! That was over a year ago too, it's survived 2 winters.

Does anyone know if the wiring remained the same as early models? I've got some 100/55w bulbs I want to put in and am hoping that 20 year old wiring will be up to the job!

IMO i'd replace the wiring with slightly thicker cable to be safe but i'm paranoid like that :mrgreen:
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Yeah, but I'm lazy and there's plenty more work that really needs doing :)

Guess I'll just stick em in and hope for the best. They've worked in dodgy French, and dodgy Dutch wiring, so I reckon the Jap stuff will be up to the job (well thats my justification anyway)
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Just a thought - if they're 100/55 that means 100w main beam, 55w dipped. 55w dipped is the same as normal, so you'll only notice the difference on main beam.

If money were no object, I'd get a new headlamp unit, plus a 50% brighter bulb giving the equivalent light output of 90/80w normal bulb.

Compairing my 12 year old Mk2 headlamps with the 20year old MK1 units, the glass was certainly more 'opaque' on the MK1, and the back of the reflector on the Mk1 was rusted. I can't tell if that's affected the silver refector as I can't really clearly see inside the lens (which says a lot in itself!) but it won't have helped.

What may have happened is that a combination of age and road fumes have obscured the inside of the headlamp - much as you get a oily haze on the inside of a windscreen that needs cleaning off. I can't remove the headlamps on my Mk1 (they're rusted solid) but I'd try swilling some Meths around inside the headlamp to see if that helped at all...
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Yeah, they're 100W mains, but the normal 55W dips. So (in theory) you dont blind oncoming traffic, but when you get out in the country lanes at night you can see where you're going. Although I cleaned the lenses the other day which seems to have help a little

Return to “Electrical”