No injector feed

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Phil

No injector feed

Post by Phil »

I have a '85 MK1 and when I went out to it yesterday it wouldn't start. After a lot of messing around I am pretty certain that the injectors aren't working apart from the fifth injector which gives it enough fuel to run the engine for about 2 seconds 2 or 3 times and then won't do anything for about 5 minutes. The engine turns over fine and there is obviously a spark otherwise it wouldn't run at all.
Thanks in advance suggestions.
Phil
PW@Woodsport

Re: No injector feed

Post by PW@Woodsport »

hi phil,check the EFI fuse in your engine bay fuse box,in fact check them all while you're on.Do a fault code pull as well to shed some light,bridge T and E1,switch ignition on and count dash flashes.

If you get a non flashing LED wire that up to one of your injector plugs to check if they are getting a signal (or plug an old injector in if you have one and feel it pulsing).If you do have an injector signal then fuel supply is next,has this car been used daily?
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Also I'd just check that the main relays are plugged firmly in. Open the fusebox in the engine bay and remove / refit them - this may clean the contacts if some have got furred up.
Phil

Post by Phil »

The car is used daily. I've checked all the fuses the relay's and the fuel pump is running. It worked one day and when I came to it the next day it wouldn't start.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Phil wrote:The car is used daily. I've checked all the fuses the relay's and the fuel pump is running. It worked one day and when I came to it the next day it wouldn't start.

Sounds like you need to start poking around checking the ECU is getting the information you'd expect from the flywheel sensor, and that (eg) the resistor pack on the injectors is OK and not open circuit.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

ok,you need to establish if theres any error codes and if theres actually an injector signal...a running pump is also no indication that it is getting fuel,ive had them with pumps that run all day long but have very little pressure going to the rail.Check you have excellent fuel pressure at the rail and the injector signal as above.Also check silly things like its actually got petrol in and not diesel,ive done that one myself!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

ben theres no flywheel sensor on a mk1,and no resistor pack for the injectors either,thats only tubbys i believe but i do agree on the fault code pull being a priority.
Phil

Post by Phil »

I've the fault codes and there aren't any stored. It has definitely got petrol in and not diesel because it ran fine the day before. If there wasn't enough fuel pressure then it wouldn't run off the cold star injector.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

ok...as per above is there actually an injector signal?
Phil

Post by Phil »

Is there an injector amplifier? If so where is it? Where do the injectors get a signal from? I thought the injection system got it's signal from the distributor, which is working okay.
Cheers for all the suggestions so far.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

phil the injectors get their signal from the ecu,which in turn relies on inputs from engine sensors/distributor...you really do need to actually check they are getting a signal before anyone can help you.

Return to “Mechanical”