V6 Turbo

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Spidey

V6 Turbo

Post by Spidey »

Apologies in advance if it's a silly question - but space aside, is it "much work" to turbocharge a V6 ?

Then, in the confines of the MR2 Mk2, is it possible to fit this in the engine bay ? with what modifications ?

TIA
Rob
mishadbull

Re: V6 Turbo

Post by mishadbull »

I remember seeing someone in the states (via the web) with a Mk2 with a 3.4 L v6 out of a Toyota Tacoma with a set of turbos on it. It was running too. Though the video I saw it still had not finalized exhaust and looked a bit tatty (red if i remember.) cant remember where those links have gone though. . .

Mike
EarL

Post by EarL »

mishadbull wrote:I remember seeing someone in the states (via the web) with a Mk2 with a 3.4 L v6 out of a Toyota Tacoma with a set of turbos on it. It was running too. Though the video I saw it still had not finalized exhaust and looked a bit tatty (red if i remember.) cant remember where those links have gone though. . .

Mike

Yeah, I remember that one too. Looked like it was going to be a right monster! :shock:

Wonder if it ever got finished?

EarL.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I think supercharging would take up less space than a turbo?

Paul Wood is your man to speak to about V6 MR2's
MRV6

Post by MRV6 »

Heres a clip of it in action, it's not the 3.4l though.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2463 ... 50fb46.htm
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

search the mr2oc.com, user name node. He had a twin turbo setup but changed it for a single turbo. He also put a trd body kit on the red beastie too.

i believe he is building another turbo'd v6, unsure of details
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

yep its entirely do able,the turbo gets remote mounted above the gearbox,actually a supra CT-26a is supposed to work well with the v6,plumbing is a bit of a mare and fancy IC pipes needed.....id probably stick a large IC in the boot.

SC takes up no extra space as it replaces the stock plenum but it cant be intercooled.
foxy-stoat

Post by foxy-stoat »

PW@Woodsport wrote:yep its entirely do able,the turbo gets remote mounted above the gearbox,actually a supra CT-26a is supposed to work well with the v6,plumbing is a bit of a mare and fancy IC pipes needed.....id probably stick a large IC in the boot.

SC takes up no extra space as it replaces the stock plenum but it cant be intercooled.

mmmmmmmmmmmmust resist........................................sod it....how much finger in the air/ball park figures to turbo the v6?

:roll:
We ALL make mistakes !!! :)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

not sure mate,fair bit of fab work involved....id have to look into that one and get back to you.
foxy-stoat

Post by foxy-stoat »

hmm, i bet !

no ruch, but that vid clip sounded jolly sweeeeet !
We ALL make mistakes !!! :)
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

node's website which has clips of the single and the twin turbo setup

http://www.v6mr2.com/media.html
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I wonder why he thought, "I'm gonna stick a great big engine in there, work tirelessly to make it turbo charged but only put a CT26 which isnt even efficient on a 3sgte on it"
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

its a ct26a as used on the 3.0ltr supra so its perfectly matched for the 3.0ltr v6.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

That would explain it.

In my mind though something like that is barely worth doing unless your going for VERY high power. The 2.0 turbo can and will get bloody high power any way?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

you've obviously never been in a mk2 v6 then bud :D

Its not about high power numbers,people go v6 for the driveability,the torque,the noise,the reliability,the lack of lag...the list goes on.

Totally agree with you,if you want big power stay with the 3s-gte and everything that comes with that.The v6 is just an entirely new way to do it without 3s-gte issues.

You also need to remember turboing the v6 isnt the same as a turbo on a 3s-gte,the v6 is a high compression engine so behaves differently with boost,no lag still just a mass of torque,downside being you cant apply as much boost as you can with a 3s-gte in stock v6 form.

Theres a mental FI'd V6 coming shortly out of woodsport that will blow you away though...cant say too much at present.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I can see the point in swapping a 2.0 n/a for a V6 n/a - more power, torque as you say no lag (although peak power is still not exactly "low")

But once you turbo the V6 even low compression it's still going to lack until on boost?

I have to confess the only V6 I ever drove was an MG thing with a 2.5 V6 and it was crap lol. But that was after getting out of my tubby.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

But once you turbo the V6 even low compression it's still going to lack until on boost?

why would it lack until boost came in? you still have the power you had before in NA form only with much more torque throughout the revs by adding a turbo.

This is one of the reasons people go v6,to get rid of that "lacking" period before boost comes in with the 3s-gte.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

PW@Woodsport wrote:

why would it lack until boost came in? you still have the power you had before in NA form only with much more torque throughout the revs by adding a turbo.

This is one of the reasons people go v6,to get rid of that "lacking" period before boost comes in with the 3s-gte.

I agree with Paul.... Just try my Noble . . 2.5l V6, 330BHP. Each T20 turbo is, in theory, matched to a 1250cc engine so small, light, and next to no lag.... :twisted:
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

What superchargers are people using on the V6 Paul? and what sort of price are we talking?

I need to contact you with regards to fitting a V6 in my MK1, I saw on twobrutal your fully booked till February. Would it be possible to get my car booked in for some magic treatment. Going to the Ring' again in May so trying to get it completed for then.

cheers.

Michael.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Just try my Noble

you heard that folks,peter said i could have a go in his noble,ive got that in writing now :D

hi michael,people fit the TRD SC unit thats available for the camry and US solara models, at 5psi alone that will take power up to 280/290bhp without any other mods.Hard to find them though and they cost around £1000 shipped second hand,best place is to trawl the camry owners forums in the states.

I am indeed booked until feb,but if you want pencilling in let me know and i'll discuss it with you off forum matey.

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”