Brake conversion.. witch is the best?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

El_Loco

Brake conversion.. witch is the best?

Post by El_Loco »

I have the choice of to think:
1:\ ST185 Single pot with celica disks (black diamond) and pad (ebc) (350€)

or

2:\ST165 double pot with my mk1b disks (200€)

I need your help to choice :)

Thank's :)
parody

Re: Brake conversion.. witch is the best?

Post by parody »

I went with ST165 twin pots with standard discs/pads purely on a cost basis and wasn't disappointed 8)
inglismark

Post by inglismark »

OR

My mazda rx7 4 pot calliper conversion with 285mm discs

regards,
mark Inglis
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

For a MK1Na... i'd say just use everything stock, make sure its in 100% working order and put on some pagid fast road pads. If it was okay for trackwork on my much modified SC then it will surely suffice for an NA for roadwork.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

For a MK1Na... i'd say just use everything stock

I think Toyota changed the brakes (for bigger) on the later Mk1s. I thought my (early) Mk1 brakes were OK, but did not drive any other car for about six months, and then when I did start to drive other cars I realised that the Mk1 brakes are good, but can be improved upon a great deal.

El_Loco try here: http://www.mr2mk1club.com/Bigbrakes.html for details of st205 brakes (...but you will need 17" wheels !)

So now you have five options:
1. Reconditioned standard Mk1
2. st165
3. st185
4. st205
5. RX7

Good luck.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Gordy wrote:
For a MK1Na... i'd say just use everything stock

I think Toyota changed the brakes (for bigger) on the later Mk1s. I thought my (early) Mk1 brakes were OK, but did not drive any other car for about six months, and then when I did start to drive other cars I realised that the Mk1 brakes are good, but can be improved upon a great deal.

El_Loco try here: http://www.mr2mk1club.com/Bigbrakes.html for details of st205 brakes (...but you will need 17" wheels !)

So now you have five options:
1. Reconditioned standard Mk1
2. st165
3. st185
4. st205
5. RX7

Good luck.

toyota did indeed increase teh size of the discs on the later MK1b, though by the looks of it the poster has a MK1b so will already have the bigger brakes. Wouldn't recommend 17s tbh.

If the brakes feel inadequate its most likely because the rears aren't working properly.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Lauren wrote: and put on some pagid fast road pads.

pagid were bought out by minyex. no more padgid pads. just the left overs kicking around.
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

If the brakes feel inadequate its most likely because the rears aren't working properly

If the brakes feel inadequate it's most likely because there are better brakes available.

So, back to El_Locos question...

Sign in at http://twobrutal.co.uk and then head to page...
http://twobrutal.co.uk/index.php?page=dlds for an Adobe pdf document detailing the Celica brake conversion (you can download).
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Gordy wrote:
If the brakes feel inadequate it's most likely because there are better brakes available.

Not at all. Like i said if the stock brakes on fast road pads were fine for trackdays in my modded SC, then they are going to be absolutely fine for roadwork in an NA aren't they?
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

Not at all. Like i said...

Issues?
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

I know I have said this before, and I think Lauren agrees, the mk1's brakes don't have the amount of servo assistance that a lot of modern cars do. It can be a little off putting when you compare but I have always found the mk1 has plenty of stopping power you just need to push a bit harder than your used to.
I was going to upgrade in the end I just refurbed all the calipers I had. You can get all the service parts for around £110 for every caliper on the car, get em sand blasted or vapour blasted and there are like new.
If you do go for bigger calipers in the front you will upset the brake bias even more and it will tend to lock the front wheels even earlier.
My to pennys worth.
jasper

Post by jasper »

El Loco is thinking of turning his car into a 1.5, hence the bigger brakes. He's visited and received a warm TB welcome.
Last edited by jasper on Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

After servicing my brakes and then covering 24,000 miles in my Mk1 last year I really do understand what they are like!

I still have my Mk1 and I too am considering a Mk1.5 conversion, and if I end up with something faster than my Mk2 rev3 turbo (i.e. a tubby engine in a low-ish mass Mk1) then sure as eggs are eggs I will be changing the brakes.

The comment about brake bias is very valid indeed, but in itself not a good reason to stick with Mk1a brakes on a 150mph car!

Anyway, El_Loco has many choices, and I am sure the TwoBrutal crew will help him decide...
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Gordy wrote:
Not at all. Like i said...

Issues?

Stuck record?
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

Fair comment there Gordy, this was the first time I had been made aware of the engine swap.
Not to sure I'm that kean on your tone to be honest. I know a number of the two brutal crowd personally and they are all top chaps. I don't know if you have a personal problem with any individual but I would rather not get dragged into your personal dispute and at the end of the day I'm only offering advice on the info I have at hand.
Far to many exclaimation marks for my liking.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

spudgun wrote:Fair comment there Gordy, this was the first time I had been made aware of the engine swap.
Not to sure I'm that kean on your tone to be honest. I know a number of the two brutal crowd personally and they are all top chaps. I don't know if you have a personal problem with any individual but I would rather not get dragged into your personal dispute and at the end of the day I'm only offering advice on the info I have at hand.
Far to many exclaimation marks for my liking.

Exactly. I wasn't aware that this guy was doing a 1.5 either as it isn't mentioned in his posts.

From what he says he's obviously got 'issues'.
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

I know a number of the two brutal crowd personally and they are all top chaps

I simply said I was sure they would help him decide. Meaning they have real world experience to offer. No hidden meaning or agenda.
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Getting back to the original question...

I'd reccomend GT4 single pots and the 280mm disc. It is a much better combination than the twin pots and the smaller disc.

I ran these on my mk1.5 and they were fab. Make sure you upgrade to the MR2 Turbo brake master cylinder at the same time, so that you can cope with the extra fluid requirements of the bigger brake pistons.

Get those and overhaul the rear calipers and pu some grooved mk1b rear discs in - that should be more than enough for most (you could always go further and upgrade to MR2 Turbo rear calipers and discs... but that's another story).
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

Anyone see Stu's car on the TB stand at JAE with the GT4 calipers? I went for a ride in it before and he put the anchors on doing 80 round a bend and you can hear the wheels locking up. Those brakes will take some getting used and you can only use however much grip your tyres have got.

However, Stu says that at 150mph you really need the extra braking power coz Pagids won't be nearly enough.

It's pro's and cons really, I was thinking of going for bigger calipers but if you have to put a bigger rim size on to fit them then you're losing the grip your going to need for bigger brakes.
MarcsMR2

Post by MarcsMR2 »

Just to add another option for you have a look at my gallery. WMS brake upgrade to 4 pot calipers, bigger discs (groved available), all mounts/bolts & hoses. From memory it all came out about £500

drop Keri a mail

[email protected]

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”