Handbrake adjustment

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

beno

Handbrake adjustment

Post by beno »

Need some help to adjust handbrake on my MK2 Mr2 turbo rev 3.Recently changed pads all round and now the hand brake is non functionable.Does not work even a little bit..
Tried whinding in rear pistons but keeps spinning, is it supposed to stop so i can whind it out 180 deg?
Tightened handbrake tension ratchet under car and still no luck...

Any help would be good!

thx Beno ](*,) [/b]
PW@Woodsport

Re: Handbrake adjustment

Post by PW@Woodsport »

check your cables are not sticking,and also the caliper handbrake lever arms arent seized,then do the following....bear in mind if you move the caliper levers at any point during this proceedure it will reset the caliper and you will have no handbrake as you do now...

remove plastic undertrays
slacken off handbrake cables completely
undo lower caliper bolt and swing caliper up
remove pads
grind the little nobble off the inside pad backing (it makes adjustment easier and serves no real purpose-its there to stop the piston unwinding which is nigh on impossible,remove it and life is ten times easier)
turn the piston clockwise until it will go in no further,you will be able to turn it but it wont actually go in anymore
fit pads copper slipped up
wind piston anticlockwise 180* and try to slide it back over the pads,if it wont go then take the piston all the way back in but add 10*-20* of clockwise rotation,then back out 180*.... if its a slack fit keep turning the piston anticlock until you have a good interference fit between caliper and pads (this is where removing the metal nobble from the inside pad helps)
if at any time you accidentally moved the lever arm start again
when both calipers are bolted back in place with good fitting pump the brake pedal several times
take up the slack on the handbrake cable so you have 3 or 4 clicks
go and make a cup of tea
beno

handbrake

Post by beno »

Thx for the reply mate but ithink that maybe my lever arm is sticking coz i can see the cable releasing but the lever arm from the hand brake dosn`t seem to move at all on the caliper.Really sick of whinding piston tried lots of times... do you suggest releasing the handbrake cable from the caliper.When im whinding the piston and it dont go no further it still spins.... but if i let off 180deg.. shouldnt i see the lever arn release....

thx for you r help...
beno
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

remove the cable from the caliper,if the arm doesnt return back to its bump stop by itself its seized or stiff,soak it in wd40 or diesel or oil and work it back n forth until its freed off...if it doesnt free you may need to buy a caliper.

If the arm returns back on its own you have a sticky cable,they are notorious for them,dont worry though cables are cheap.
beno

Post by beno »

nice1 mate i will take them off in the morning and give that a try not got nothin 2 lose im at my wits end ha ha....
beno

Post by beno »

nice1 wood sport it was my cables after all :) .......bloody things i just ordered a new set off rogue systems for £90 is that reasonable has anyone else got any good parts places???????
:lol:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

spurious ones from my local auto supplier are £65.
beno

Post by beno »

ok cheers mate ill keep that in mind for the future....looks like i been done a bit these were £70 plus vat......thanks been a good helpin hand ....

Return to “Mechanical”