Blaster Coils and Ignition

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jimbob

Blaster Coils and Ignition

Post by Jimbob »

Hey all,

I'm building my box of bits up nicely now!

I'm looking at the ignition side of things. I have heard a lot about copper contact dizzy caps? Where can I get one from?

Also on a Sideline, how good is something like an MSD Blaster setup. I know a pokey MR2 in Banzai had four fitted (for each cyl). Is this OTT?

I work with a cosworth owner and on a stage 1 tune he had to regap his plugs due to higher boost etc. That may seem like rubbish but he's probably one of the cleverest engineers i've met!

Is producing good sparks that important? I know its the reason modern drag cars have advanced so much, but what about for a 350bhp MR2?

As said before I'm after the all round good package, not excelling at any one bolt on mod but making sure they all fit together.

I guess the better the ignition system the better the burn and consitancy?

Cheers,

James
Jimbob

Re: Blaster Coils and Ignition

Post by Jimbob »

anyone?
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

Stick to the standard ignition components. The Fensport cars run theres to over 500BHP on the OEM ignition components.

If you want to really get fancy go with the 2ZZ coil on plug setup from the latest celica.
M5
jonno

Post by jonno »

My advice is to use 0.7 - 0.8mm plug gap on NGK copper plugs. I Change them everytime you change my oil although that might be excessive. I Change the Dizzy and rotor every other oil change.

MR2 Turbo's eat ignition components, treat them as consumables and you wont go far wrong. Its not worth spending any money on fancy platinium tipped branded plugs or fancy coils - the MR2 standard stuff is more than adequate it just needs to be kept in good condition.

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Best plugs to use are NGK BCR8ES - basic copper plugs, non projected head and a short ground strap. The stock coil is fine, the blaster coils are actually no stronger unless you combine them with the rest of MSD ignition system. In fact having to stong a spark can be a problem as much as too little ignition.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Jimbob wrote:Hey all,

I'm building my box of bits up nicely now!

I'm looking at the ignition side of things. I have heard a lot about copper contact dizzy caps? Where can I get one from?

I've made them up and done a few Group Purchases in the past - to give you an idea of price, for the last caps which I made up based on parts from the USA the complete cost for a Copper Contact modified Rev2-on cap, rotor arm and dust seal was £62ish - this was for a group of 20.

With fewer people on a potential Gropu Purchase the prices go up a little.

Also on a Sideline, how good is something like an MSD Blaster setup. I know a pokey MR2 in Banzai had four fitted (for each cyl). Is this OTT?

I work with a cosworth owner and on a stage 1 tune he had to regap his plugs due to higher boost etc. That may seem like rubbish but he's probably one of the cleverest engineers i've met!

Is producing good sparks that important? I know its the reason modern drag cars have advanced so much, but what about for a 350bhp MR2?

FWIW, for my own Turbo I use NGK copper plugs one grade cooler and gapped to 0.8mm (standard gap) and they're fine for 300bhp.

As said before I'm after the all round good package, not excelling at any one bolt on mod but making sure they all fit together.

I guess the better the ignition system the better the burn and consitancy?

Yes - a standard car's ignition system with new components is certainly fine for all but the most extreme mods.

If you'd like a copper contact cap, drop me a email or a PM :D
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

Ben,

fancy doing another GB on these?

I'll be in need of one soon ;)

Cheers
M5
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

heh, a few folks have been asking after caps - its been a while since the last GB.

I'll put a post in the General section :-)
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

I'd be interested in the copper dissy cap GB Ben, been about a year since I bought the last one :)
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!

Return to “Modifications”