Radiator levels

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

D_Laverick

Radiator levels

Post by D_Laverick »

Hey everyone!

I'm a total MR2 newbie, and have just got myself a GTS Turbo - mucho fun!

I have a really stupid question, but how do I tell the level of coolant in the engine?
I received an 'engrish' handbook from the garage, but all it shows is what I presume is an expansion tank, that mine doesn't have...

If I dive into the engine bay, I can see a white plastic tank on the rear wall, and it has a cap, with a hose dangling into it - so coolant goes in there... but I can't see any Max or Min marks anywhere!

The garage I got it from were less than observant (no horn, earthing strap left hanging) so I'd like to double check everything myself.

Any help appreciated.

On a side note, I'm going to spend christmas installing a Mannix alarm & remote start kit - I'm quite at home with the wiring, but if anyone has fitted one and has any good tips, please shout up! :oops: :oops: :oops:
stevel

Re: Radiator levels

Post by stevel »

D_Laverick wrote:Hey everyone!
If I dive into the engine bay, I can see a white plastic tank on the rear wall, and it has a cap, with a hose dangling into it - so coolant goes in there... but I can't see any Max or Min marks anywhere!

Yep thats it. May need a torch to see the levels its not that clear, why toyota designed it this way is beyond me.
Swansea Jack

Post by Swansea Jack »

Hi, I had the same prob when I bought my Mk 2 a year or so back. I couldn't work out how to check the coolant level and eventually took the car to my local Toyota garage. I was told by one of the mechanics to pour coolant to the top of the neck under the pressure cap and then to pour coolant into the expansion tank until it is about a third to half way up the rubber tube that goes into the expansion tank (use that rubber tube as a sort of dipstick). hope this helps, I know I worried about this when I First bought my 2.
Swansea Jack
tony2311

Post by tony2311 »

make sure insurance will cover thief if you dont have a cat 1 alarm on it?
Neil Clark

Post by Neil Clark »

tony2311 wrote:make sure insurance will cover thief if you dont have a cat 1 alarm on it?

If your old like me (32) then the insurance dont insist on a cat1!. Ive fitted a cat1 to mine myself anyway now, its a easy job just abit long winded if you want it done correct, it would take ages to find the wires now!

Return to “Mechanical”