6 Speed gearbox in a MK2 Turbo.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

msherry21

6 Speed gearbox in a MK2 Turbo.

Post by msherry21 »

Hi, How are you all doing?

Just a few questions really;

1. Has anyone put a 6 speed gearbox in a MK2 MR2? Would this be possible and would it be worthwhile? any info appreciated.

2. Has anyone twin turbo'd a MK2, Like a Supra? Would this also be possible and worth while doing?

Thanks for any help you can give. Just trying to do something a bit different really.

Cheers,

p.s Is there a carbon fibre TRD spoiler available? or something similar?

Michael.
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Re: 6 Speed gearbox in a MK2 Turbo.

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

msherry21 wrote:Hi, How are you all doing?

Just a few questions really;

1. Has anyone put a 6 speed gearbox in a MK2 MR2? Would this be possible and would it be worthwhile? any info appreciated.

2. Has anyone twin turbo'd a MK2, Like a Supra? Would this also be possible and worth while doing?

Thanks for any help you can give. Just trying to do something a bit different really.

Cheers,

p.s Is there a carbon fibre TRD spoiler available? or something similar?

Michael.

don't think anyone has tried a 6 speed box and it came up before and most agreed it's pretty pointless! i mean top end is 150-160mph anyway and it kicks through the gears pretty quickly as it is.

i seem to remember some guy in the US twin turbo a MR2 turbo but gained nothing really other than a lot of lag i suppose, picking the right turbo is normally enough given the cost of whacking 2 turbo's in the engine bay. i've seen a rev3 spoiler somewhere in carbon fibre but no TRD in carbon as far as i know and anyway a normal TRD spoiler is shed loads of cash let along a carbon version!
Gazboy

Post by Gazboy »

I'd kill for a 6spd box, 5th is too short for motorway use 'when pressing on' without consuming vast quantities of motion lotion.

If you want a 6spd for a higer top speed, loose the turbo and fit that garret jobbie Fensport are flogging (GT28).
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

You could fit a longer ratio 5th gear from a celica - that would make 5th a bit more motorway friendly
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
AdamR

Post by AdamR »

Gazboy wrote:I'd kill for a 6spd box, 5th is too short for motorway use 'when pressing on' without consuming vast quantities of motion lotion.

Me too - lost count of the times that I've tried to change up on the motorway only to realise I'd run out of gears :oops: :P
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

stevecordiner wrote:You could fit a longer ratio 5th gear from a celica - that would make 5th a bit more motorway friendly

The Celica has the same 5th gear as the MR2. What you probably mean is use the taller diff from either the Carlos Sainz ST185 or the UK ST165.

I've done this on mine, but there are issues. I think the Rev3+ box needs the diff from a different car as I reckon the shaft is different (hence why I'm getting it popping out of 4th on the overrun! :-()

Since doing this, though, cruising on the motorway is a fair bit more relaxed, and the added bonus is that it's geared much higher now! :D
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

the 6 speed mk3 box (c60 i think its called?) has been fitted onto a 4a-ge in the states,next year im going to look into the possibility of fitting this box onto my 3vz-fe,this is relevant to this post cos the 3vz-fe shares the same bellhousing pattern as the 3s-gte meaning if i get one of these 6 speeders to fit my V6 it'll fit your mk2's as well...the only issues yet to be resolved are driveshaft fitments and wether or not it will handle the power,watch this space.
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Paul Woods wrote:the 6 speed mk3 box (c60 i think its called?) has been fitted onto a 4a-ge in the states,next year im going to look into the possibility of fitting this box onto my 3vz-fe,this is relevant to this post cos the 3vz-fe shares the same bellhousing pattern as the 3s-gte meaning if i get one of these 6 speeders to fit my V6 it'll fit your mk2's as well...the only issues yet to be resolved are driveshaft fitments and wether or not it will handle the power,watch this space.

Ah, does that mean that you have a 3.0 Camry engine? I know that the Camry V6 shared the same gearbox as the MR2, except it had a taller diff and the mounting points for body-to-gearbox are different but can be adapted.

Do you think the Mk3 box could handle the torque of a powerful V6 or modded turbo, though?

Good luck with your install! :D
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

yeah i do have the camry V6 installed,the manual version is the same except the gear linkages are on the wrong side of the box but the bellhousing pattern and clutch config is the same as the turbo.

Yep the power that the celica box will be able to handle is the only thing i question,once i get some figures on what it will comfortably handle then i can start planning for clutch,bellhousing,starter,flywheel,gear linkage,mounts and shafts......theres nothing wrong with the mk2 turbo 5 speed LSD box im using i just think it would be cool to develop the 6 speed to work on the E153 bellhousing pattern,would benefit a lot of people interested in the same swap.

Anyone know what power/torque the 6 speed celica box will easily handle?
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Paul Woods wrote:yeah i do have the camry V6 installed,the manual version is the same except the gear linkages are on the wrong side of the box but the bellhousing pattern and clutch config is the same as the turbo.

Yeah, I heard that you could graft an MR2 linkage to it, as long as you drill a few holes (easier than it sounds).

Paul Woods wrote:
Anyone know what power/torque the 6 speed celica box will easily handle?

Don't know, but if you can find out the thickness (ie depth of the gear face) of each of the gears, then we can compare to the E153 - I've got the internals of an ST165 box sitting in my garage.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

well the way i see it the 2zz is rated at just under 200bhp isnt it? so knowing toyota they build their boxes to take a lot more so i think it will be up to the job,torque busts gearboxes though so who knows?
Corsa Killa

Post by Corsa Killa »

For a real CF TRD wing you would be talking mega bucks and I dont think they were ever commercially produced, think they were just for the racing teams?
A replica with CF blade can be bought for around £350. Cant rmember where it was that had them but ask Mr C and he might rmember.
HTH

Andy

Return to “Modifications”