Donnington - Sunday Feb 26th - £99

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

skinthespin

Donnington - Sunday Feb 26th - £99

Post by skinthespin »

Just booked on the above day, its 98bd drive by test so most stuff will be ok I assume.

Bit of a bargain for a weekend day!
michael

Re: Donnington - Sunday Feb 26th - £99

Post by michael »

Which trackday company is it with?
lower

Post by lower »

98 db knocks out a lot of people with non standard exhausts, and they are pretty strict.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

lower wrote:98 db knocks out a lot of people with non standard exhausts, and they are pretty strict.

98 static.

That's driveby from 10+ meters.

For reference my exhaust was measure at 96db at bedford along with another at 103. Both were around 73db driveby.

As long as you don't have a stupidly loud BOV (and know where to shift even if you do) you should be fine as bass tends not to travel as well as treble.

I'm tempted skid', i'll see how bedford goes friday.
michael

Post by michael »

Just be gentle coming onto the pit straight, stay on the right of the track and then hoof it half way down :)

The only mic they have is at the top of the pit lane, it's all automated though so it will catch you if you are loud.

I got stopped before I even got on track and the chap thought I'd have no chance in my car, I didn't get picked up on the circuit though \:D/
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Its not through a company, its through Donnington circuit directly, hence its a bit cheaper, call 01332 819503.

I popped along last Sunday and there were some very loud cars going round, they also told me they give you a few chances to sort it out, the 98db is a driveby test too and will probably be 20 metres from the circuit, like michale said though just drive past the noise meter then hoof it!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

skinthespin wrote:Its not through a company, its through Donnington circuit directly, hence its a bit cheaper, call 01332 819503.

I popped along last Sunday and there were some very loud cars going round, they also told me they give you a few chances to sort it out, the 98db is a driveby test too and will probably be 20 metres from the circuit, like michale said though just drive past the noise meter then hoof it!

One thing to bear in mind, is that if they notice you are backing off past the noise meter, they may pull you in. You normally get one chance to sort it out.

I only say this because i've worked at Donny loads of times and know the noise test guys very well.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
michael

Post by michael »

It's quite easy to be conservative and still carry decent speed through Goddards though, OK it numbs the experience a little when you can't go flat but there is plenty of time for that elsewhere on the circuit.

The key is to do it without it being obvious... better still turn up with a sensible exhaust :)
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

I borrowed a noise meter from work and did some tests with Jonb, turns out mines relatively quiet until the dump valve lets go, so I will take my standard one along just in case, bear in mind that I have a de-cat and twin 5 inch tail pipes so its quite loud, still nowhere near 98db though.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Here's why its £99.......its not busy at all:
www.esses.co.uk/videos/donnybusy.wmv ;)
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

You have to be joking?!?!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

jonb- wrote:You have to be joking?!?!

Nope. There has to be someway they get the price to £99. Cheap price = more cars on track. Simple. And thats a wet day, would expect it to be worse in the dry, because you always get some no-shows if its wet.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Aren't the tracks legally limted? At that rate there'd be well over 70 cars out on track (but i'm sure that's not a representitive section of track, more a bottleneck)

In that weather i'd be worried about someone sliding into me (or me hitting someone)
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Yeah, that video makes it look bad but I reckon they've just bunched up... Most likely someone's spun in the wet and held everyone up.

I did a TrackZone day at Donington before christmas with a couple of other IMOCers, and although the briefing wasn't the most polished I've ever attended and there was sheet ice on the back straight for the first couple of sessions :shock: I've got no problems going back for another bargain day!

Rogue
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

jonb- wrote:Aren't the tracks legally limted? At that rate there'd be well over 70 cars out on track (but i'm sure that's not a representitive section of track, more a bottleneck)

In that weather i'd be worried about someone sliding into me (or me hitting someone)

how many places are there for the day, just out of interest?

Is it open pit or sessioned?
tamiyauk

Post by tamiyauk »

That looks like a piece of the M25!
Lauren, do you have any plans for an IMOC day at Donnington or Bedford?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

tamiyauk wrote:

That looks like a piece of the M25!
Lauren, do you have any plans for an IMOC day at Donnington or Bedford?

We've done IMOC days at Donny twice before, though they tend to be in winter time as prices are cheaper then.

Once we've done anglesey we'll look into options for the next one.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

With regard to donny i'm not sure about numbers - i just know what Simon (OP) has told me. He said they will 3x20 minute session the day unless they don't get a huge amount of turn out then it'll be open pitlane.

As for the next imoc day - my vote goes with bedford. Speaking of which, off i go :mrgreen:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

jonb- wrote:With regard to donny i'm not sure about numbers - i just know what Simon (OP) has told me. He said they will 3x20 minute session the day unless they don't get a huge amount of turn out then it'll be open pitlane.

As for the next imoc day - my vote goes with bedford. Speaking of which, off i go :mrgreen:

I bet they run at 30 cars per session hence 90 cars overall.
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Yeah they allow 30 cars on track at any one time, its a 2 mile circuit so shouldnt be too bad, plus its round the corner from me, so I dont have to trek half way across the UK to drive round a bumpy, twisty circuit such as Angelsey, which was £20 dearer and would cost me £50+ in fuel to get there, plus accomodation, £30 to sleep on the floor anyone?

So there you go, ive saved £100 and I get to drive round a proper track, i'll take my chances with the traffic, its not compulsory to go btw.

Oh, and I was there last sunday and it wasnt ANYTHING like that video, like someone has said something might have happened to bunch things up.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”