Poor head lights visibility

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dukey

Poor head lights visibility

Post by Dukey »

Hi guys,

My one headlight has gone, im pretty sure its the first time in three years of ownership!! However the one has been changed before.

Anyway to the point, i only have standard bulbs in at the moment and to be honest they are not really that bright. I was wondering if any of you had tried fitting more expensive bulbs and if they actually make a difference to how they light the road up etc?

In particular i would quite like that blue tint that you see on some more expensive cars, is this possible to do?

Many thanks

Dukey
Rob

Re: Poor head lights visibility

Post by Rob »

I got fed up with my lack of visibility last night and bought some new ones today. I got them from Halfords today as they are buy 1 get 1 free. They are Halfords Super Brilliance (Gold packet) £12.99 on that offer for the pair. Havent driven it yet but against the garage the new ones are whiter and brighter.

Rob
Dukey

Post by Dukey »

Thanks for the reply mate!

Please could you let me know had good those bulbs are in the dark, i might have to invest in some!
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Rob 'Zircon' Butcher wrote:I got fed up with my lack of visibility last night and bought some new ones today. I got them from Halfords today as they are buy 1 get 1 free. They are Halfords Super Brilliance (Gold packet) £12.99 on that offer for the pair. Havent driven it yet but against the garage the new ones are whiter and brighter.

Rob

Just bought a set of those - 50% brighter than normal bulbs, I'd previously had the 30% brighter bulbs in my Turbo.

I have to say I'm very impressed with the results, even over the 30% brighter Xenons I'd had in before. Just make sure the alignment of the lights is right - it should be something like 1-2% down - check by parking up alongside a wall, then revering backwards and making sure the centre of the beam drops a little ..
waelwulfas

Post by waelwulfas »

I'm using 80/100's no problems in a year of being fitted and regularly used.
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

Dukey wrote:Hi guys,

My one headlight has gone, im pretty sure its the first time in three years of ownership!! However the one has been changed before.

Anyway to the point, i only have standard bulbs in at the moment and to be honest they are not really that bright. I was wondering if any of you had tried fitting more expensive bulbs and if they actually make a difference to how they light the road up etc?

In particular i would quite like that blue tint that you see on some more expensive cars, is this possible to do?

Many thanks

Dukey

i'm using HID's mate! not cheap a set will set you back £450 notes and are patchy on the legal side too :roll:

still i love my HID's and would never go back as the difference is amazing and i love the pure white light :D
Baker

Post by Baker »

ahhh. the HID's...the ones i whack my full beam on when i see em..well fooking bright! :shock:
stevel

Post by stevel »

£450 wtf

feed a small country on that.................. for a year

i myself find HID's easier on the eyes when a oncoming car has them on. unless there coming over a hill and you get the full load of the HID's on the back of your eyes ouch! :D

This a custom conversion you've done to yours then ? Any more info ?
Baker

Post by Baker »

true chris..but too many prople have them badly aligned..pointing up to the trees. ouch!

Chris 'aka rustboy' Ammon wrote:
i myself find HID's easier on the eyes when a oncoming car has them on. unless there coming over a hill and you get the full load of the HID's on the back of your eyes ouch! :D

This a custom conversion you've done to yours then ? Any more info ?

huh why does it show me asking myself a question when i didn't? whats gone wrong! :?:
CUERVO

Post by CUERVO »

:) I'm using PIAA Bulbs Xtreme White Pluss @only 80 per pair!!! Alot better then the standard bulbs and cheaper than HID!!!
http://www.piaa.co.uk/[quote]. Rated at 4000K and providing 110watts of light from only 55watts these bulbs will provide a brilliant Xtreme cool white light that will light up road hazards and street signs long before a normal halogen bulb.The Blue topcoat on these bulbs adds a slight blue tint to the lamp for enhanced curb appeal. [/quote]
jim

Post by jim »

I've just bought a set of the Halfords 50% brighter jobbies too.

Haven't fitted them yet, but I looked under the bonnet this morning, hoping to be able to see the headlamp back cover. Maybe I'm just a bit thick today but...How do you get to the bulbs?

:oops:
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Hey jim

You need to raise the headlights, undo the two screws on either side, and take the plastic cowel off. Then take off 4 more screw from the front and the unit will pop out. Its really easy.

BTW peoples, I brought the super white/blue bulbs from Halfords and they bite balls. About as blue as a banana.
Rhys-

Post by Rhys- »

One of the first things I did to mine was replace the stock bulbs as they really are crap. Just get some of these bright/xenon things from Halfords and you'll have much better visibility at night.
jim

Post by jim »

Ah!

well I said I was being thick today. Thanks :wink:
Phil

Post by Phil »

What you want is Ring 'Sportz Bluz' 80/100w. They are superb.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Dukey

Sorrry for the delay....forgot I posted about the lights!

Yes they are better - I still find that other cars I have driven have better lights but I think its because we sit lower to the road. However the new ones have taken away the scary blindness that my old ones gave me - well worth £12.99 thats for sure.
Raistlin

Post by Raistlin »

I've been driving around lately wondering why my lights have been so poor I couldn't really see much at all. My mate pointed this out to me I'd kinda just got used to it, so when I pulled up we got out to have a look when we got to the front of the car we could hardly see the white light through the dirt glued to the front of the lenses, it turned out that I haden't been poping the lights up when I was washing the car well it was day time i didnt really think about it...

Raistlin wrote:I've been driving around lately wondering why my lights have been so poor I couldn't really see much at all. My mate pointed this out to me I'd kinda just got used to it, so when I pulled up we got out to have a look when we got to the front of the car we could hardly see the white light through the dirt glued to the front of the lenses, it turned out that I haden't been poping the lights up when I was washing the car well it was day time i didnt really think about it...

LMAO! seen so may cars with pop up lights like this, people go through car washes and forget.

use some t-cut on the lens and they should come up VERY nicely :) mine look pretty much new thanks to ray and his bottle of t-cut, did it when the HID's got whacked in ;)

Return to “Mechanical”