Windscreen Wiper Motors

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike

Windscreen Wiper Motors

Post by Mike »

My wipers only work when activated manually (ie the single wipe function) none of the other settings work. I'm thinking its probably the wiper motor so I'm planning to replace it. I have a 1992 Rev 2 GT Turbo, are there any differences in the wiper motors over the years/across the SW20 model range?

Thanks
rgb

Re: Windscreen Wiper Motors

Post by rgb »

get a stalk first
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

I've used rev1 motor in a rev3 and rev4, they all seemed the same. no idea about rev5

however i think the stalks changed from rev2 to 3
Mike

Post by Mike »

rgb wrote:get a stalk first

That is actually a very good shout. I'll try that first :thumleft:
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Mike wrote:I have a 1992 Rev 2 GT Turbo, are there any differences in the wiper motors over the years/across the SW20 model range?

I know for a fact there are different wiper motors assemblies for SW20 Rev3 GT Turbo cars that I have owned.

The wiper motor assembly is a physically different size/shape depending on the gap between the oem front suspension turret brace bar and the bulkhead.

There are two models of oem front suspension turret brace bars that I know of. The bulkhead mounting is common, but one model goes to the front bolt of the turret and the other model goes to the rear bolt of the turret.

If you tried to fit the washer motor assembly from a car that has a brace to front bolt of the turret to a car that has the brace to the rear bolt of the turret, you would not get the brace back on because the motor assembly is in the way.

I don't know if the washer motor assembly itself has common mounts or common location for electrical connections.

I know the above due to trying to swap the braces once to see what difference it made to the handling of each car. My car that had the smaller washer motor assembly could take the brace from either car, but the car that had the larger washer motor assembly could only take one of the braces.

If you need a replacement washer motor it is best to use the part number from your old one (or ask Toyota for the part numbers that are compatible for your chassis number).

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”