[Mk2] [Generic] Coolant bottle delete

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

[Mk2] [Generic] Coolant bottle delete

Post by Ryan S »

So i want to completely do away with the coolant bottle. More accurately, I already have as that's where my catch can sits. Is it just a case of plugging up the overflow spout at the filler neck? Or is it absolutely necessary I have a coolant bottle?
Juliuswws

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Coolant bottle delete

Post by Juliuswws »

Ryan S wrote:So i want to completely do away with the coolant bottle. More accurately, I already have as that's where my catch can sits. Is it just a case of plugging up the overflow spout at the filler neck? Or is it absolutely necessary I have a coolant bottle?

I'm no expert, but ~14 liters of coolant would expand a bit in volume when heated up from 0 (or ambient) to 80 degrees

I'd say you defo need a coolant bottle. Maybe not oem big, but at least a 0.5 liter one. Also, any slight coolant leak will lead to overheating pretty rapidly which could cause HG damage
Sbsoulby

Post by Sbsoulby »

Can't you increase the hose length to the bottle and put the bottle in the boot?
Rev 3 sw20 gts
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah i actually thought about this. Having had a proper look into this tonight I think I'm deffo gonna need one :( Maybe some black pipe going to a small tank in the boot. Keep the hose subtle and the bottle out of sight.
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

Ryan S wrote:Yeah i actually thought about this. Having had a proper look into this tonight I think I'm deffo gonna need one :( Maybe some black pipe going to a small tank in the boot. Keep the hose subtle and the bottle out of sight.

If you do it this way, you would want to keep the hose as short as possible.
Tbh, I would consider move the catch can away and put the bottle back.
The catch cans effectiveness mainly comes from its internal structure, but if installed in a well wented area where the wind would cool it, condensation would occur inside, thus improving separation.

I got a rev3 tubby too :), no catch can yet, but when I'll do it I will mount it under my aftermarket air filter.

Cheers
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah having had a quick look at the engine bay there's a few places i can mount it. Gonna try and get something rigged up today.
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

I really wouldn't put a catch tank under my my air filter as you will be putting alot of crap in the engine. I would make sure I is higher than the engine to allow the oil to run back in...

RICH
Juliuswws

Post by Juliuswws »

rev2rich wrote:I really wouldn't put a catch tank under my my air filter as you will be putting alot of crap in the engine. I would make sure I is higher than the engine to allow the oil to run back in...

RICH

Wouldn't gravity aid to keep the oil in can? The breather is already on top of the engine + a little lenght of hose.
I got my tuddy for 6-7 years with the same intake, the engine bay is...well...engine bay clean. Altough my tubby is a daily driver, always has been
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I thought the same to be honest.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

the car expels like a 0.5-1ltr of fluid once up to temp and has had a little boost in it.

you should not be removing it at all! you are asking for a massive blow out or major rupture of a hose somewhere.

some cars expansion tanks work different to others, but you shouldnt be removing it.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

yeah i've ordered an overflow tank. Currently using a lime cordial bottle (obviously not driving the car just now haha) :thumleft:
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

jimGTS wrote:the car expels like a 0.5-1ltr of fluid once up to temp and has had a little boost in it.

you should not be removing it at all! you are asking for a massive blow out or major rupture of a hose somewhere.

some cars expansion tanks work different to others, but you shouldnt be removing it.

Just did some quick sums and think it's more than 1L. But spose then in the real world not all the coolant in the system is at the peak temperature at the same time. Have you measured it in any way?

I've gone for a 1.4L bottle in mine, that sits low and forward of the gearbox. Couldn't risk going much smaller than 1.4 as you need some excess left in the tank. Not ran the car yet but hoping it's on the same side of minimal.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

pbmr2 wrote:
jimGTS wrote:the car expels like a 0.5-1ltr of fluid once up to temp and has had a little boost in it.

Just did some quick sums and think it's more than 1L. But spose then in the real world not all the coolant in the system is at the peak temperature at the same time. Have you measured it in any way?

I've gone for a 1.4L bottle in mine, that sits low and forward of the gearbox. Couldn't risk going much smaller than 1.4 as you need some excess left in the tank. Not ran the car yet but hoping it's on the same side of minimal.

I bought an 800mm one. I've let the car go up to temp and cool down a few times now and it's never put out or drawn back more than 100mm.

that's with the stock 0.9 bar cap. HAving said that I'm yet to drive it at! If I need a bigger one it's no real issue. There was a couple of horrible looking threaded bit's i wanted to cut off that have suited the job perfect and the bracket for the bottle hides them completely.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

sure driving it will heat the water better and make peak temps higher.
also you have to think of year round temps, just becuase on one day the starting temp is 4*c, doesn't equal the same amount of coolant expansion as a cold day from below 0.

I've not measured my running car's overflow and my other car doesn't run yet. Might be a little project for this weekend.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

pbmr2 wrote:sure driving it will heat the water better and make peak temps higher.
also you have to think of year round temps, just becuase on one day the starting temp is 4*c, doesn't equal the same amount of coolant expansion as a cold day from below 0.

I've not measured my running car's overflow and my other car doesn't run yet. Might be a little project for this weekend.

Yeah I agree mate, I never had any idea what size I'd need so just went for 800mm. If it p1$$e$ out all over the place I will have no choice but to get a bigger one. Only driving it will tell really.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Found what I bought. Never gone behond 2/3 full.

This is 1.2ltrs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HHO-Plus-Wat ... 2816272174
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

I wanted to go with a clear system including a clear hose off the rad cap.
I could see this working before concluding I needed sort my HG on my Gen3.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:I wanted to go with a clear system including a clear hose off the rad cap.
I could see this working before concluding I needed sort my HG on my Gen3.

is that 2/3 full from empty Jim?? As is, Did you fit it empty (with a full cooling system) and it's spat out that amount? To be fair 2/3s or 1.2 litres is 800mm so hopefully mine is ok.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Ha it's cutting a fine line. But I'd never would have installed empty.
But regular use maybe goes 2/3 and I'm left with literally a 1/4-1/2 pint id say.

So my original 0.5ltr guess is not that faroff.

When I had Hg issues in my old expansion tank that sucka would take over 5ltrs when I had an issue. Strangely only 2-5% of the time so not often.
I'd guess some boost situations was pumping a lot more into the tank than others (exhaust gas into cooling system from Hg leak).
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

Ryan, good to see you back about. Can someone tell me how cooling fluid gets sucked back through that 0.9bar cap.

Return to “Modifications”