[Mk2] [Turbo] Small metal pipe attached to magnetic sump plug

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hippidy
Premium Member

[Mk2] [Turbo] Small metal pipe attached to magnetic sump plug

Post by hippidy »

Upon removing my magnetic sump plug I found a small steel pipe attached to it, does anyone know what it's for?
It's a Rev 2 Turbo.

hippidy
Premium Member

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Small metal pipe attached to magnetic sump plug

Post by hippidy »

After some research, it looks to be part of an oil squirter, can anyone confirm? If so how urgently does it need replacing?
shinny

Post by shinny »

Replacing an oil squirter would be an engine strip-down job! :shock:

I guess you now have one cylinder wearing a little bit faster than the other three :(
hippidy
Premium Member

Post by hippidy »

shinny wrote:Replacing an oil squirter would be an engine strip-down job! :shock:

I guess you now have one cylinder wearing a little bit faster than the other three :(

Oh poo
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Tbh many 5s builds run without them. They aid in cylinder cooling rather than lubrication.

But yeah looks like a squirter. Did you find the retaining screw / pin? Not sure how they are secured tbh.

Just trying to think how it got past everything into the sump....is it even possible?
hippidy
Premium Member

Post by hippidy »

androo007 wrote:Tbh many 5s builds run without them. They aid in cylinder cooling rather than lubrication.

But yeah looks like a squirter. Did you find the retaining screw / pin? Not sure how they are secured tbh.

Just trying to think how it got past everything into the sump....is it even possible?

All I found was that section of pipe attached to the sump plug when changing the oil.
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

The small pipe ist pressed into a housing that has a simple ball valve. The housing itself is screwed into the block.

It looks to me like the piston and the squirter had contact.......aftermarket pistons maybe?
hippidy
Premium Member

Post by hippidy »

mr2magic wrote:The small pipe ist pressed into a housing that has a simple ball valve. The housing itself is screwed into the block.

It looks to me like the piston and the squirter had contact.......aftermarket pistons maybe?

Perhaps, not sure how else it would shear off. I'll have to take a look at the (mostly Japanese) paper work I got with the car. Thanks.

Return to “Mechanical”