www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Rust problems on my new MR2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
croak3r
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Rust problems on my new MR2 Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hi everyone,
ever since I was a teenager I wanted an MR2 and after finally being in a situation where it's not such a bad idea I decided to buy one yesterday. I drove it straight to the MOT station (only legal way to drive it home really) and found that the sills are quite rotten and the chassis that hold the front bumper on is totally rotten through. I of course expected some work, but I guess naively I thought it wouldnt be so bad.

I dont have forum permissions to post pictures yet unfortunately. The area effected is the part of the chassis sticking out from the frunk, that holds the radiator on and the bumper. The left side looks pretty good from what I can see underneath, but there is hardly anything left of the right side bottom part.

I'm not too worried about the sills as I can get new ones and weld them in, although where they join to the chassis is also rusty. What worries me is attempting to weld in a replacement front chasis area. I have some experience welding with my cheap £100 ish gassless MIG, but i'm no pro.
Do you guys think it would be feasible for me to buy a replacement off a scrap car and weld it in myself? Are there even any rules against doing so for the MOT?

I will try and get some actually pictures once I get the bumper off. Already spent a few hours fighting rusted bolts.

Any help is appreciated [Smile]
toxo
IMOC Committee

Feedback Score: 53

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Welcome [Smile]

Whatever you do, don't get the car towed or recovered by a breakdown company. First thing they'll do is try and pull it by the front towing eye which will pull the entire front end off - I've watched this happen and it's not pretty.

You'll get the ability to post photos after 10 posts or becoming a premium member, whichever happens first.
aussieGT

Feedback Score: 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

you may find that the car you get parts from is better than the one you have - it could work out cheaper to find a less rusty car and sell the one you currently have.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Feedback Score: 7

1992 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hello & welcome

do more posts, to get to the amount to allow you to post [Wink]

so describe it for us colour etc then when you can post pics folks can come back with some more help

Regards

Hail Cosmos Eagle 1998 -
RIP White Eagle 1991 - 2016
croak3r
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks guys, will try and make a few posts later so I can post pictures.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Feedback Score: 7

1992 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

so where are you based?
croak3r
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I'm in South Wales, near Abergavenny.
croak3r
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

And the car is white [Wink]
markstevieandmads

Feedback Score: 5

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Did you not check underneath before buying?
croak3r
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

markstevieandmads wrote:
Did you not check underneath before buying?

I did have a look, but didnt jack it up or anything to have a proper dig into it. It's quite hard to see without getting it up on a ramp. Really should have been more thorough though...
croak3r
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

So spent another few hours trying to get some of the bumper off for a better look but it's proving a lot trickier than I expected. Almost have all the bolts off now, just got to remove a screw that was already stripped on the grill.
croak3r
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Oh and I also had a better look at the sills. It's not actually as bad as I remember in the MOT. The worst part is the lip where it joins the chasis.
croak3r
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I took some photos of the rust. i'll post them once I get enough posts.
croak3r
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Only need 2 more posts! Did i mention the car is a t-bar?
croak3r
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Last post and I can put some pictures up [Smile]
croak3r
Premium Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hmm still think I need more posts....
croak3r
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Does anyone know how many posts I need to put pictures up?
Tiger Tim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thought it was 10
rossonza
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

i think it was 10 for me. it may take a while for the forum to realise you've gone over 10 posts.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Pretty sure it's 15.
2013 GT86 Injen Induction. Volks Racing TE37s & TRD Aero Fins, Mega sounds. TEIN Street Flex 5/6kg, TEIN EDFC Active Pro. Tuning Developments Remap 4-1 Manifold, TD resonated exhaust, decat/overpipe, AP Racing 4 Pot front brakes. [lover]
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: