Starting a car after 5 years stood..

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ralliart

Starting a car after 5 years stood..

Post by Ralliart »

So a mate has got hold of a tubby thats been stood for about 5 years.
Just wondered what we should do before starting it up for the first time. Is there a certain procedure as dont want to damage the engine or anything lathough was fine when parked up.

I was thinking change the oil and new filter, plugs and then fire it up? Obviously new battery aswell. See how it drives then change items as as and when
almeida1234

Re: Starting a car after 5 years stood..

Post by almeida1234 »

New fuel filter and fresh fuel is defo.

Also,depends on where it stood, will need new brakes, possibly calipers if it's seized
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

Cheers for reply.

It was more of a case of the initial start up I was enquiring about. I was told that i'd need to crank it a few times before starting but wasnt sure what they meant by that.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

Ralliart wrote:Cheers for reply.

It was more of a case of the initial start up I was enquiring about. I was told that i'd need to crank it a few times before starting but wasnt sure what they meant by that.

By that I would imagine they meant to disable ignition - then turn the car over so it can pump fuel, oil and water around without the car firing (possibly!) up.

So unplug your leads and turn the key. I guess the theory is that apart from moving fluids that you may be able to hear any nasty noises before too much damage is done.
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

:thumleft:
sonic1999

Post by sonic1999 »

IF it was me make sure change oil and filter then leave plugs out and spin engine over so that oil will get round and get pressure before attempting to fire it up and as well as other bits others have said may be look too change cam belt before driving
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

yeah like above, change the oil + filter, remove the plugs, pull the EFI fuse to stop fuel pump, turn it over a few times in short bursts of about 5 seconds. then a couple of longer runs if it sounds good of 10s.

Then put clean fuel+filter, then plugs and fuse and try to start it.
Start with the clutch in to rule out any gearbox loading or clutch issues.

They are strong engines so if it isn't already broken then it shouldn't give too much trouble. Started quite a few old 3s engines that have stood and most do ok. of course all of them needed major services before proper use.
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

Much appreciated :thumleft:
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

Not going to be as straight forward as we thought unfortunately...

So changed the oil filter and oil, plugs, cranks over nicely but doesnt start up.

I did however notice 2 things.
1 - the fuel gauge doesnt work [put 20 litres Vpower and gauge still shows empty]

2 - I noticed 3 out of 4 of the spark plugs / plug holes were covered in oil. These were all cleaned up before fitting new plugs in but alas still not starting up.

Any help / pointers appreciated. I did a diagnostic check on it and the engine light flashes continuously as no faults showing.

I'm thinking change leads / coil. [best place to buy from?]

Cheers
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Fuel pump could also be seized
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

is it a PITA to change ? Its currently on myu drive so limited access / tool and knowledge :(
mrhappy62

Post by mrhappy62 »

Fuel pump is a PITA to change on the drive , But I did mine mid winter ! Get the car as high as you can,and soak all joints and bolts with 3 in 1 or similar.
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

Any way to confirm whether it is the pump or not before removing the tank [having been looking it upo and you are right - looks like hard work :-k ]
markstevieandmads

Ralliart wrote:Any way to confirm whether it is the pump or not before removing the tank [having been looking it upo and you are right - looks like hard work :-k ]

Id pull one of the fuel lines off (prob easiest going into the filter then you can check if the filters blocked too and will prob need changing anyway) and stick the end in a bottle. Bridge fp+ and B to run fuel pump constant on ignition and see if anything comes out in the bottle. If it does then change the filter and take out the bridge and see if it comes out, if not then its the fuel pump relay.
Just process of elimination
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

I did bridge fp and +b on ignition and could hear a relay clicking in the engine bay. Couldnt hear the fuel pump.

Will get the fuel filter changed and then do the test again and see if any fuel comes out of the pipes.

Cheers
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

You should be able to hear the fuel pump with FP and B+. OEM is quiet, but not silent.

Check your basics as well - make sure you have decent compression - cold test so numbers may be below spec which isn't a big deal - what we're looking for is low variance across each cylinder.

Make sure you are getting spark as well.

Does sound like your fuel pump may be dead though.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

you can also access the wiring for the pump under the ashtray. one plug for fuel gauge sender and one plug for pump power. Have seen the test port method fail before but then direct power to the plug under the ashtray has worked.

Worth checking that before thinking of removing the tank. It's the worst job on the MR2 so avoid if possible. However pumps die a fair bit these days and one that's been stood for ages isn't going to be better.

Fuel filter will be junk too, they breakdown inside and clog up. Not so much of an issue if the pump isn't pumping though :oldtongue:

Once you know the pump is working then you can check the spark. take one plug at a time and hold it against the head (use something non conductive to hold it!) and crank the engine for a second. should see it spark. the threads of the plug need to be in contact with the engine head so they earth.

Oil in the plug wells is probably just the cam cover gasket leaking, very common and cheap fix. Compression test it if you can. But get the fuel and spark working first.
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

Cheers guys.
Well the car is getting a spark however under the ashtray and the 2 plugs you mention. One has 3 pins [small connectors] going to it and the other has 2 pins [larger connectors]

The 3pin one is getting power to it however the 2 pin plug is getting no power to it at all. Am I right in thinking this is the one for the pump. Was thinking of giving it a direct live to see if I can hear the pump although not sure which wire is live and which is negative. One is blue the other white.

On a side note when I pulled the EFI relay out the fuse box you can hear a continuous buzzing / humming sound??
markstevieandmads

Dont just go shoving power into wires you dont know!!!

I suspect the one without power is for the fuel level as you wont need power for that im guessing as it would just be a resistance type reading.

If you got power to the other then thats fine, but still doesnt prove if its seized.

As ive suggeste, pop a fuel line off (easiest at filter in connection on the bottom of filter) and see if fuel is coming out. IF not then the pump is goosed.
If its going in the bottom but not the top then filter is knackered.
Ralliart

Post by Ralliart »

HI mate,
I did have a look into changing the fuel filter myself however some of the bolts looked a bit rusty so thought i'd leave it to a local garage who cant look book me in until next week.

However as the weather was good i'd thought i'd attempt some things myself 'just in case' it isnt the pump as when Imentioned it to the local garage I use he wasnt keen on changin the pump either.. said its a bas#### of a job :mrgreen: and he is an MR2 owner aswell :mrgreen:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”