Steering reach adjustment seized

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

flex

Steering reach adjustment seized

Post by flex »

Hi all,

Has anyone had a similar issue? Unlocks fine, so there is a little movement in all directions, but only about 1mm in or out. It's been lagged in penetrating fluid, but using a reasonable amount of force back and forth achieves nothing.

I don't really want to start taking everything apart: is there anything specific to aim for?

Cheers
sonic1999

Re: Steering reach adjustment seized

Post by sonic1999 »

May be wrong here but its meant go up or down not in and out :-k
mrhappy62

Post by mrhappy62 »

Imports have reach adjustment , however I have the same problem so will watch this post.
sonic1999

Post by sonic1999 »

You live and learn :) as only owned 3 uk cars
flex

Post by flex »

The wheels in an ok position fortunately, but a tiny bit close to be perfect. I have a deeper dished wheel I might try, but it won't work as it is. Not sure where the position is relative to a uk car, but it's a nice feature to have. It's something internal - AFAIK I can see everything i think should move on the outside working.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Mines the same. Goes up and down fine. But wont go in and out (is an import).
markr1

Post by markr1 »

Mine is the same . Think it seized before I had it when the t tops were leaking👍
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Just to point out only Rev 1 and 2 JDM had this feature. No fair.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Got one in bits in the garage, the in/out section is basically 2 metal sleeves and I'm sure if it got damp it could rust up.

From memory the front section goes over the under dash part, so any fluid will need to be sprayed up the shaft from behind. A can with a straw would be best.

I'm in the middle of a rapid rebuild this week but I'll dig the parts out at the weekend and take some pics. Will be able to workout how it might seize.

Mine was a second hand part and came damaged. Might try to rebuild it but the bearings are shot too. Got a manual rack that could donate some parts but they differ a fair bit.
flex

Post by flex »

pbmr2 wrote:Got one in bits in the garage, the in/out section is basically 2 metal sleeves and I'm sure if it got damp it could rust up.

From memory the front section goes over the under dash part, so any fluid will need to be sprayed up the shaft from behind. A can with a straw would be best.

I'm in the middle of a rapid rebuild this week but I'll dig the parts out at the weekend and take some pics. Will be able to workout how it might seize.

Mine was a second hand part and came damaged. Might try to rebuild it but the bearings are shot too. Got a manual rack that could donate some parts but they differ a fair bit.

Thanks for the info. I mainly sprayed from the front/sides but naturally that wouldn't do much if its as you decribe

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”