[Mk2] [Turbo] Rear right clipped the kerb

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

m00nb34m5575

[Mk2] [Turbo] Rear right clipped the kerb

Post by m00nb34m5575 »

As the title suggests, had a little argument with the kerb by losing the rear and it spun out, the rear right wheel hit the kerb face on and smashed the alloy (literally all 5 spokes). ](*,) :clap:

The trailing arm was completely bent since the alloy hit it, but the control arm had no damage whatsoever. I replaced both anyway and got the caster bang on, however, I've noticed the wheel is set inwards around a cm when compared to the other side.

I've checked for chassis damage and there is nothing I can see. The tie-rod was unscathed (not bent at all), however when i put the new control arm/trailing arm in the wheel was toeing in like mad. To get the car to a driveable state I had to shorten the tie rod by about 1cm. The car drives relatively straight but I can see the problem and it's driving me crazy.

I've vaguely checked the knuckle and I can't see anything bent or damaged where the ball joint attaches. The trailing and control arm went in without major issues (nothing bent or hard to align), so i'm thinking its either subframe or something on the strut assembly. Any ideas would be highly appreciated, especially if someone could shed some light on what is most likely to get damaged first.

Any help would be highly appreciated. I've learnt my lesson about driving these cars with sub-optimal tyres in the rain...It's a shame its caused all this headache!
gips

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rear right clipped the kerb

Post by gips »

It could be the knuckle although its unlikely to have such a visible difference. I had similar problem on my 200sx. Although for me it wouldn't get into spec , when under alignment. I got a new knuckle and , when i compared them one to another they looked the same, there was no visual difference at all. As soon as i put the other knuckle everything , went into spec, but for me the difference was ~1 degree, which was hard to notice. You say you see a visible toe in, so i guess for you there will be a visible difference between both knuckles.
yokomomr4bx

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rear right clipped the kerb

Post by yokomomr4bx »

I can't say we all learn the hard way because someone will pipe up with 'I just drive sensibly etc'. I did a very similar thing a number of years ago with a central reservation and dealt with bodywork rather than suspension/chassis issues. If you get a chance could you take photos of the suspension, top of the strut and subframe? It will be much easier then for us to spot something out of place etc! Oh and make sure they're in focus and well lit :lol:

Ed

Return to “Mechanical”