www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [Turbo] Rear right clipped the kerb

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Mechanical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m00nb34m5575

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rear right clipped the kerb Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

As the title suggests, had a little argument with the kerb by losing the rear and it spun out, the rear right wheel hit the kerb face on and smashed the alloy (literally all 5 spokes). [Brick wall] [Applause]

The trailing arm was completely bent since the alloy hit it, but the control arm had no damage whatsoever. I replaced both anyway and got the caster bang on, however, I've noticed the wheel is set inwards around a cm when compared to the other side.

I've checked for chassis damage and there is nothing I can see. The tie-rod was unscathed (not bent at all), however when i put the new control arm/trailing arm in the wheel was toeing in like mad. To get the car to a driveable state I had to shorten the tie rod by about 1cm. The car drives relatively straight but I can see the problem and it's driving me crazy.

I've vaguely checked the knuckle and I can't see anything bent or damaged where the ball joint attaches. The trailing and control arm went in without major issues (nothing bent or hard to align), so i'm thinking its either subframe or something on the strut assembly. Any ideas would be highly appreciated, especially if someone could shed some light on what is most likely to get damaged first.

Any help would be highly appreciated. I've learnt my lesson about driving these cars with sub-optimal tyres in the rain...It's a shame its caused all this headache!
gips

Feedback Score: 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

It could be the knuckle although its unlikely to have such a visible difference. I had similar problem on my 200sx. Although for me it wouldn't get into spec , when under alignment. I got a new knuckle and , when i compared them one to another they looked the same, there was no visual difference at all. As soon as i put the other knuckle everything , went into spec, but for me the difference was ~1 degree, which was hard to notice. You say you see a visible toe in, so i guess for you there will be a visible difference between both knuckles.
yokomomr4bx
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I can't say we all learn the hard way because someone will pipe up with 'I just drive sensibly etc'. I did a very similar thing a number of years ago with a central reservation and dealt with bodywork rather than suspension/chassis issues. If you get a chance could you take photos of the suspension, top of the strut and subframe? It will be much easier then for us to spot something out of place etc! Oh and make sure they're in focus and well lit [Laughing]

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Mechanical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: