[Mk2] [NA] Rev 1 to Rev 3 engine swap

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

digs

[Mk2] [NA] Rev 1 to Rev 3 engine swap

Post by digs »

Hi, recently I had my slightly suspect rev1 engine swapped out and a rev3 3sge installed. currently still have the rev1 ecu and loom, which means no cold start injector so runs rough as for 5 mins or so first of all - fine when warmed up.

what i dont know is , with a rev3 ecu any issues with immobilisers etc ? I was going to buy a rev3 ecu and repin the loom plugs as needed, but anything i need to be aware of ? certain years immobilisers came in, etc ?

my car has no powersteering, abs, climate control etc, so hopefully should be fairly straight forward.

Thanks

Digs
alanmr2turbo

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Rev 1 to Rev 3 engine swap

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Immobilisers were only built into Rev5 ECU's
digs

Post by digs »

alanmr2turbo wrote:Immobilisers were only built into Rev5 ECU's

Perfect, thanks so much !
digs

Post by digs »

Not sure I will bother with the ecu swap - all seems to be working fine without it and means do not need to wire in a O2 sensor, unless someone mentions advantages ?

Interestingly was idling high with the new engine in and could not drop it, ended up replacing the idle control valve motor for one from a rev2 3sge and it seems to work fine now once up to temp.

Would have thought exactly the same, but different part numbers. Had already swapped to another rev3 unit, so who knows !

Return to “Modifications”