what size are the bolts holding the brake caliper on the rear?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2_maverick

what size are the bolts holding the brake caliper on the rear?

Post by mr2_maverick »

Hi guys,

I tried to replace the rear brake disc and pads on my car today and I couldn't get the two bolts off that hold the part of the caliper where the pads slide in. As I understand it there are three bolts that need to be removed, the 12mm which lets the caliper slide up and then the two bigger bolts to get the whole caliper off the disc.

Is it a 17mm? I tried to fit a 16 mm which was too small and an 18 mm which was too large. Do I even need to take this part off? The outer brake pad was easy to remove, it is just the inner brake pad that wont come off so I thought I need to remove the rest of the parts too?

This is what I am talking about: http://www.mr2turbo.info/pics/cropped/1 ... eplate.jpg

Also does anyone know what size is the bolt you can screw in to force the discs off ? I am sure my disc is locked into place by rust between the hub and disc. Thanks.
tehdub

Re: what size are the bolts holding the brake caliper on the rear?

Post by tehdub »

Hi Maverick,

You won't be able to get the discs off with out removing the caliper bracket, and they are 17's yes. They can be right pain to get off. Impact tools are your friend if you have them. If not, patience, heat, and WD 40 usually work.

Breaker bars to crack them off will work if you have the room. There's also the poor man's breaker bar, ratchet with a long collar socket and extension bar on the end, or the poor mans impact wrench, a ring spanner on the bolt and a hammer to knock it free, or a centre punch on the edge of the nut. All are health and safety nightmares but do work.

Try not to chew them up, as the are hardened steel and are xxxxxx to cut through (Ask me how I know)
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Soak in plusgas and leave over night.

Don't use 12 point sockets, use a good 6 sided hex socket. Apply a little heat if needed, but be careful of your wheel bearings and driveshafts.
Hez

Post by Hez »

Never had any bother getting them off with Plusgas, a 17mm ring spanner and a hammer to shock it free.
tehdub

Post by tehdub »

All good advice above.

Re. the discs being rusted to the hub, pretty standard. I don't know of a screw to release the disc. There should be two screws securing the disc to the hub, but these are often missing or rusted away with the remnants of a screw in them.

I just smack the disc with a hammer to free it off. A dead blow is best, but a regular hammer will do (Use ear plugs). Damaging the disc isn't a concern as you are changing it anyway.

Tee

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”